Jump to content

Turn off you link box when not in use!


Recommended Posts

I've been leaving my link box on all the time, why wouldn't you?

But I saw some people on the forum having problems when leaving it on. 

I just returned from 3days away with it left on stby and not being used at all, to find 2 big purple blobs in my right lens. 
I thought the panel must busted and was expecting I would have to return it, but after switching off the link box for a few hours its back to normal 

Sorry pic is not the best, but was hard to get a clear pic

196668463_945809689548461_3617224241295361467_n.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP, when people say standby, do you mean the Linkbox, your PC, and Steam are all on and the HMD is "Standing by" 

OR

Are people saying that the link box is on while PC is off?

OR

Maybe Link box on and PC on but SteamVR is NOT on

 

Sucks trying to keep up with how to keep this unit working or from eating itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always turn off my Link Box after using it.  I also use SteamVR to put my base stations to sleep.  I also do not use sleep/hibernate mode with my PC.  All just makes sense to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Captnyesterday said:

OP, when people say standby, do you mean the Linkbox, your PC, and Steam are all on and the HMD is "Standing by" 

OR

Are people saying that the link box is on while PC is off?

OR

Maybe Link box on and PC on but SteamVR is NOT on

 

Sucks trying to keep up with how to keep this unit working or from eating itself.

Well speaking for myself 

I mean when not using steam VR your headset goes into standby. Even when your pc is turned off it stays like this.

You must manually turn off your link box by pressing the button 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I always turn off my Link Box after using it.  I also use SteamVR to put my base stations to sleep.  I also do not use sleep/hibernate mode with my PC.  All just makes sense to me.

Good for you

But I've owned 5 different VR headsets and this is the first one I've ever had to manually power off. Including the original vive pro 

Do you also physically turn off your monitor everytime? TV? Or do you leave them on standby like everyone else 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya, up to you mate.  Reaching over and pressing the little blue button is not too much of a hardship for me with my Vive Pro1.  Also, I run a dual VR headset combo with and Oculus headset so powering the link box off makes it easier for me to switch between headsets.

Your blobs look like sun damage to me.  Maybe you let some sunlight in?  In any case, I'm glad to see that switching off the link box seems to have fixed this for now.  Good luck mate and cheers.

Edited by TomCgcmfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, up to you mate.  Reaching over and pressing the little blue button is not too much of a hardship for me with my Vive Pro1.  Also, I run a dual VR headset combo with and Oculus headset so powering the link box off makes it easier for me to switch between headsets.

Your blobs look like sun damage to me.  Maybe you let some sunlight in?  In any case, I'm glad to see that switching off the link box seems to have fixed this for now.  Good luck mate and cheers.

Yeah its not a hardship at all, more of just something that I never thought to do. And thus I thought I'd share my experience to try and help others 

Don't think it was sun damage as hang it under my PC desk

Can't even be sure it was anything to do with the link box. 

But thanks, hopefully won't happen again 

Edited by Granny Smasher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy enough to turn the thing off, but I forget little stuff like that because I've never needed to do it before. I can EASILY see myself forgetting to do this over and over. My PC will go to sleep or I will turn it off and the link box will still be on. 

I have done this maybe 10 or more times already (crappy ADD memory) and there has been zero damage.  But maybe it will in the future? Maybe it will be temp like we've seen or maybe permanent?  People act like its an edge case, but when combined with the headphone buzz (that appears to be unfixable according to support) this is enough to tip me over the "RETURN IT" cliff. I will buy again when the manufacturing line has matured. Vive port will probably improve too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, turning off the headset with the power button of the link box is only a workaround.

It does not fix this major hardware/software problem, that the headset is not properly shutdown, when it doesn‘t sit on your head.

Overheating the liquid crystal fluid and also wrong display control timing or voltages can degrade LCDs permanently.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...