Gaming Laptop not using the Dedicated GPU for Vive Pro. Being detected as a Monitor. Direct Mode not working.

meltedlogic

Hello Vive Community!  I can usually find the answers to any questions I have, but I am at my wits end now and hoping someone can help!

As per the nutshell title, I'm using a Mini-DP 1.2 cable.  It's a Gigabyte G15 i5 (Supposedly VR Ready) Laptop with an RTX 3060 Laptop GPU.

I've attached a picture of what I believe to be the culprit, but here is a list of the things I've tried anyway:

• Plugged into the mains adapter
  • Global settings for the "Preferred graphics processor" is set to "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor" within the NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Different USB port
  • Connecting the HMD after booting then launching SteamVR.
  • Attempting to enable 'Direct Mode' makes SteamVR restart, only to be asked to enable it again once it's restarted, going round in circles, and not actually enabling
  • Manually setting "directMode : true"  within the steamvr.vrsettings makes no difference.

From my attached image of the NVIDIA Control Panel, inside the PhysX area, It appears the display port is being mapped to the integrated graphics when the HMD is connected.  I believe this to be the starting point for the problem but have no idea how to solve it and the search terms I use never quite seem to find the answer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

vrdp_problem.jpg

Edited by meltedlogic

4 hours ago, meltedlogic said:

EDIT:  In my haste to find the solution to my desperation, I made a mistake and the model of the laptop is actually a Gigabyte G5 KC-5UK1130SH 🙄

Looking at your Laptop specs it appears to have 1x Mini DP 1.4.  This is the port you should be using.  You may need a DP/mini DP adapter but these are pretty inexpensive (~$5-10).  Looks like you are trying to use your usb port that may be DP capable but often is wired through the igpu.  Also, if you have actually used your DP with another cable there may be a problem with it.  You are best to use the supplied DP cable with one of those short/on-piece adapters imho.  Good luck mate.

Edited by TomCgcmfc