Vive Pro 2 headphones buzzing/humming

When there is little ambient sound, the Vive Pro 2 headphones make a noticeable humming or buzz sound. Every major review has mentioned this but I've not seen any kind of response from HTC. Is this something they are aware of? Can this be fixed or is this going to be a return and waiting till the product line to mature?

I, along with most others, have tried every USB port as well as beta-vive console and SteamVR. This does not occur with any of my previous headsets or my OG Vive + DAS. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captnyesterday said:

When there is little ambient sound, the Vive Pro 2 headphones make a noticeable humming or buzz sound. Every major review has mentioned this but I've not seen any kind of response from HTC. Is this something they are aware of? Can this be fixed or is this going to be a return and waiting till the product line to mature?

I, along with most others, have tried every USB port as well as beta-vive console and SteamVR. This does not occur with any of my previous headsets or my OG Vive + DAS. 

Anything you try wont fix it. Others have attempted everything. HTC are fully aware of it, but we're awaiting some sort of response. Hopefully the technicians can come back with a firmware fix, but yes, many people have reported it.

Also - I wish to god these forums wouldn't limit the amount of posts you can make or how far between posts you can comment on or the timeframe you're allowed to edit a post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmazingTechVR said:

Anything you try wont fix it. Others have attempted everything. HTC are fully aware of it, but we're awaiting some sort of response. Hopefully the technicians can come back with a firmware fix, but yes, many people have reported it.

Also - I wish to god these forums wouldn't limit the amount of posts you can make or how far between posts you can comment on or the timeframe you're allowed to edit a post.

They gate posting by time? Just after a product launch? huh. Wouldn't have been my first choice.   

And yep, u r right. Apparently even when this thing is untethered (wireless solution), it makes no difference.  Wowza.  I'll hold onto the VP2 a while longer but that return window is closing and I will not miss it if this isn't answered.

I notice that audio hum goes away when looking at dark scenery.  Simply bringing up Steam overlay in SteamVR Home will stop the hum, but it returns again when you close that or look at something bright.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:31 PM, Supmua said:

I notice that audio hum goes away when looking at dark scenery.  Simply bringing up Steam overlay in SteamVR Home will stop the hum, but it returns again when you close that or look at something bright.

Not for me. In SteamVR home I have a completely solid black background environment (5x5 black square) and everything is black, I can still hear it.

Hi guys,

Can you update SteamVR (beta) and Vive Console (beta), mute all sounds in SteamVR home or game. Has the humming sound completely gone for you now or reduced and hardly audible?

Close SteamVR and Vive Console just to be sure it applies any updates. I could see Vive Console booted as I opened SteamVR and it very briefly said applying update or something.

Vive Console version 2.1.17.4 BETA

SteamVR version 1.18.2

9 hours ago, Franky2021 said:

There is no change with the buzzing sound in my headset. I can not  hear any difference between the last firmware updates. It seems to be connected to the backlight brightness and framerate.

Same result here and same conclusion

I have the buzzing noise, since day one also. I've also noticed, when LCD screens are off and using it as a regular sound device in Windows, there is no buzzing sound at all. So I think, it's an interference of the LCD. Further, the pitch of the noise changes, when you switch the video quality from 90 Hz to 120 Hz. With 120 Hz refresh rate, the buzzing sound pitch is higher.

Maybe an hardware issue, with a bad hardware design of electronic isolation. But let's await official response of HTC, after they investigated on this in more detail. Hopefully, this can be fixed with an Firmware update 🙂 Let's see

22 hours ago, nEuDy said:

I have the buzzing noise, since day one also. I've also noticed, when LCD screens are off and using it as a regular sound device in Windows, there is no buzzing sound at all. So I think, it's an interference of the LCD. Further, the pitch of the noise changes, when you switch the video quality from 90 Hz to 120 Hz. With 120 Hz refresh rate, the buzzing sound pitch is higher.

Maybe an hardware issue, with a bad hardware design of electronic isolation. But let's await official response of HTC, after they investigated on this in more detail. Hopefully, this can be fixed with an Firmware update 🙂 Let's see

Great test. As far as I'm concerned, this concludes The research for me. I think we all suspected it was electrical interference stemming from the display but this is conclusive enough for me. There's a small chance this can be fixed with firmware, but I'm not holding out much hope for that. My window for return is closing so I'll have to go ahead and return for now. I really enjoyed while I had it and will probably pick it up again when they fix this issue and some of the software stuff (refresh rate selector and resolution slider... I'm looking squarely at you! I wouldn't mind better motion smoothing, brightness controls and less ghosting when reprojecting, but we'll see. 

Edited by Captnyesterday