Vive Pro 2 SteamVR Motion smoothing

DwarfCZ

Hi,

does someone know if Vive Pro 2 will ever support SteamVR motion smoothing? If not Im leaning towards returning it, Vive motion compensation sucks. Also godrays sucks and display running hot like hell sucks too.

• Like 2

I hope it does at some point too. The current implementation is awful and basically the same as the legacy reprojection system in SteamVR.

The one thing I was hoping to do is that same trick as the Index - run 120hz but with motion smoothing forced on giving you 60hz. This should be much nicer than 45hz you get on the standard PRO - but, you can't because the reprojection looks horrendous.

I'm surprised it hasn't cropped up in reviews as it is now 90hz or nothing. I've tried turning "Motion Compensation" on/off and honestly I think it is better with it off.

However, it is quite possible that something isn't working right. In Elite Dangerous, if I unfocus the window on the desktop the game still responds to head movement but everything is smooth and any sign of reprojection is gone (but joystick etc no longer work). Re-focus the window and reprojection kicks in.

I do feel slightly let down by no Motion Smoothing support - had this been known to me when I pre-ordered I probably wouldn't have because good async reprojection is an absolute must, especially at this resolution level where hitting 90fps all the time is going to be tricky. It feels like a massive step backwards.

• Like 1

I also don't understand HTC's decision at all to reinvent the wheel.   SteamVR has all the tools we need built into it, motion smoothing, setting FIXED FPS amounts per application, resolution per application, refresh rate selection with the index.   

I could enable/disable motion reprojection while a game was running with my Samsung Odyssey in WMR.  I mean.. I like the lighthouse tracking a lot.. but I'm half tempted to return the Pro 2 myself and just get an index to make life easy for several hundred less, at the same time.. I'm loving the screens.    But I'm really not enjoying motion compensation in the enviroments I require it in.  

HTC you guys should see the flight simming forums I'm invovled with and see the amount of VR users PINING for higher resolutions.. I know Reverb G2 users who were hoping to cut the Mixed Reality portal out of the picture and use only SteamVR to be caught off guard for the requirement of the Vive Console.   

As far as I'm concerned Vive Console should be optional.   The only benefit it seems to offer the Pro 2 is driver updates.. other than that it is another layer of tedium, potential confusion and replaces one useful feature with an HTC branded one that works like early compensation methods for being unable to achieve 90fps.  I also have to restart steamVR to make changes?  Gross. 

We already paid a premium, no need for brand locking software requirements.   Who is making these decisions?   Maybe replace them.   

Edited by Nunyagoshdarnbidness

I've actually managed to fix my re-projection/motion compensation issues. It was Window's Hardward Accelerated GPU Scheduling messing everything up. I had double, triple, burred vision in games like Elite Dangerous and Project Cars 2 with it turned on, so check you have it turned off if you're getting weird things happening at low fps.

Now everything is fine. Motion Compensation kicks in correctly and, while not as good as SteamVR's Motion Smoothing, it's not as terrible as I thought. Just the occasional artefact around edges of things - it is, for me, acceptable if not optimal. I swear Elite now runs better at the higher resolution than it did on my original PRO!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MixedupJim said:

I've actually managed to fix my re-projection/motion compensation issues. It was Window's Hardward Accelerated GPU Scheduling messing everything up. I had double, triple, burred vision in games like Elite Dangerous and Project Cars 2 with it turned on, so check you have it turned off if you're getting weird things happening at low fps.

Now everything is fine. Motion Compensation kicks in correctly and, while not as good as SteamVR's Motion Smoothing, it's not as terrible as I thought. Just the occasional artefact around edges of things - it is, for me, acceptable if not optimal. I swear Elite now runs better at the higher resolution than it did on my original PRO!!

Yeah that setting's already disabled on my PC.   

Are you actually watching your FPS while you're playing Elite Dangerous?  I haven't had it installed for years but it's not quite as demanding as the IL-2 Great Battles or DCSW and their limitations using DX11.    You said in another thread you lowered ambient occlusion and got a performance boost.. perhaps your maintaining 90fps more frequently?

IN two games that need it, I can't seem to get a decent experience using motion compensation. 

Edited by Nunyagoshdarnbidness

On 6/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, Nunyagoshdarnbidness said:

Yeah that setting's already disabled on my PC.   

Are you actually watching your FPS while you're playing Elite Dangerous?  I haven't had it installed for years but it's not quite as demanding as the IL-2 Great Battles or DCSW and their limitations using DX11.    You said in another thread you lowered ambient occlusion and got a performance boost.. perhaps your maintaining 90fps more frequently?

IN two games that need it, I can't seem to get a decent experience using motion compensation. 

I watch the frame timings which also show when reprojection etc kick. However, my issue was when reprojection kicked in it would cause display errors in SteamVR meaning everything went weird in the headset with double/triple vision. I thought it was Motion Compensation, but it wasn't! Most of the time I don't hit any reprojection in Elite Horizons so I get a very good experience. In Elite Odyssey it hits reprojection a lot and you can see it is no where near as good as Steam's own implementation - but no where near as bad as I thought it was.

I shall have to try IL-2 as I used to force 45fps on that one on my PRO so it will be interesting how the PRO 2 holds up when constantly reprojection.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont get why the console is required, compensation is crap and the image is worse than my vive pro running on the same PC. The lense shape has left a huge gap between your eyes so you see a black shadow when you look left and right. WTF did they do and why are the reviews not highlighting this? Paid off? If Id know this before i would never have had it shipped from the US.

Ive put it back in the box till I can get a better GPU because balanced mode its unuseable due to the motion compensation being as bad as the OG vive when it came out and performance mode its blurry. My vive pro runs perfectly well and is clearer, this shouldnt be possible.

At least get go back to how the vive pro worked using the original steamVR overlay and compensation and not the useless console.