Possible to install Vive pro AND Vive pro 2?

JohnDoh

Hi everyone

I would appreciate help / insight on the following issue:

My understanding is that my new vive 2 will be worse wirelessly than my currently connected vive pro - until the update. And even then, it will not be able to show the full potential of the headset in terms of resolution or refresh rate. Thethered however, it should be quite the upgrade. 

My problem is: I never want to go back to tethered roomscale...

So: Is it possible to just install the vive 2 WITHOUT uninstalling my vive pro wireless setup ? I would like to use the pro 2 tethered with all seated games and the vive pro wirelessly for room-scale. At least until the resolution update...

Thanks for any help!

My PRO 2 arrived today and I would say that running both a PRO and PRO 2 probably isn't going to work.

The PRO 2 uses some extra HTC software that interfaces with SteamVR for it to work and as this loads whenever SteamVR does there doesn't seem to be an elegant solution other than uninstalling then installing the software for each headset as and when you need it - which is going to be a bit of a nuisance.

Pro 2 only additionally requires the "Vive Console" - it's just a piece of middle wear that bridges the hardware with SteamVR. If you're using Pro 2, the only difference is that the Vive Console Runtime launches alongside SteamVR.

Otherwise the behavior with wired/wireless is identical to Pro 1/OG Vive Wireless.

Vive Wireless is somewhat hot swappable but it's a bit goofy.

• If the system detects a linkbox with the Displayport cable plugged in, it assumes you want to use a wired connection and you simply plug in your wired headset (with the wireless console closed).
  • If you have a linkbox plugged into the PC with just power and USB but you leave the displayport cable unplugged, it assumes you're doing a wireless setup.
    • That said, having the linkbox plugged in is the only way to enable Bluetooth power management of the basestations.

So when you're using a wireless headset, have your Linkbox's displayport cable unplugged and wireless will work. To switch to wireless, simply fully plug in your wired linkbox and plug in your tethered HMD (with the wireless app closed). @MixedupJim @JohnDoh

Wow - this stuff is getting confusinggg 😅

Thank you HackPerception for your detailed answer ! By now I can confim that chaning from the tethered vive 2 to the wireless pro works without any issues.

Just close SteamVr, power off the Link box to the Pro2 and start the vive pro wireless software, start SteamVr. works.

Amazing tech and thanks for the support!

9 hours ago, MixedupJim said:

My PRO 2 arrived today and I would say that running both a PRO and PRO 2 probably isn't going to work.

The PRO 2 uses some extra HTC software that interfaces with SteamVR for it to work and as this loads whenever SteamVR does there doesn't seem to be an elegant solution other than uninstalling then installing the software for each headset as and when you need it - which is going to be a bit of a nuisance.

Thank you for your insight ! Although it turns out it does work 🙂

16 hours ago, JohnDoh said:

Thank you for your insight ! Although it turns out it does work 🙂

Awesome stuff 🙂 That's pretty cool being able to switch to the PRO Wireless for room scale stuff and then back to the PRO 2 for seated experiences - at least until the update for the PRO 2 Wireless comes.