Jump to content

My Cosmos started randomly resetting


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, cate said:

Yes that's just about the same issue I face - some days the issue doesn't exist, is not too bad, only comes on 1.5hours into play, or is often, making vr unusable.

Though it seems you get low fps and a stuttery screen on these crashes, but you mention restarting - which is what happens to me: stuttery for a second or something, then a complete headset restart. I know this because my small fan attached to the headset, turns off during these resets - meaning the headset is not getting/using any power.

Also don't worry about your language! Mate, imo, as long as you can communicate - as in talk to people using English, and your speaking ability is functional; I couldn't care if your English was as broken as a 4 year olds. People who rudely critisese non-perfect language is pretentious and elitist to me --- and your English seems flawless to me 🙂 

Hmm, then I think our problems are pretty much the same, but with different connection methods as you have wireless I presume.

When the Steam VR view in my video becomes stuttery and you can see audio sources being "shuffled around", that is when the Cosmos Elite is seemingly rebooting and all visuals are lost within the headset itself, turning the screens inside the lenses totally black, as if the headset was turned off. Then a few seconds later it comes back to normal again.

This does seem to be some kind of power management error in the ViveVR software (from what I can gather) as I have been scanning through the SteamVR logs to find out what is going on, and where the problem appears to occur first.
For all I know, this could be caused by a changed value in the latest software for when power is supposed to be cut due to overheating, as I can noticeably hear the HMD fan going a lot. If my HMD was old, I would probably think it was due to a lot of gathered dust, but my HMD is very new so that dust particles is unlikely to be the reason.

I did contact Nvidia to see if they were helpful with this (as GPU control could be a contributor) but the answer I got was simply that my GTX1060 is too bad to run a VR headset on, and then they closed the chat.

I have fortunately found someone not too far away that has the Cosmos Elite and a RTX 3070, I will be doing comparison tests on the different HMD's to find out if this is a HMD hardware issue, a GPU issue or a software issue. We might be doing this on Tuesday if all goes well.

It is annoying having to do such extensive troubleshooting as I have done, but fortunately it will likely result in a definite answer for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

shouldnt be gpu because with my wireless cosmos elite and a rtx 3070, I get the exact issue as you
shouldnt be hardware issue because when I first got the headset, it was working perfect for a while.
as I think it should be a software issue, when I'm bothered to do so, I'll go to device manager when my headset is powered on and connected, and do the thing where you make sure each usb device does not have usb power management enabled. If that can't fix it, I could only assume the vives updates broke the device, seeing as people are getting this issue from a month ago, and now it's a constant thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cate said:

shouldnt be gpu because with my wireless cosmos elite and a rtx 3070, I get the exact issue as you
shouldnt be hardware issue because when I first got the headset, it was working perfect for a while.
as I think it should be a software issue, when I'm bothered to do so, I'll go to device manager when my headset is powered on and connected, and do the thing where you make sure each usb device does not have usb power management enabled. If that can't fix it, I could only assume the vives updates broke the device, seeing as people are getting this issue from a month ago, and now it's a constant thing.

Just out of curiosity, if you create a SteamVR system report and look back at a timestamp where your headset restarts itself, do you find similar information as I do here on mine? Note that the red arrow points to the moment when the displays in my HMD shuts off and everything goes bad.

It does seem to pinpoint some kind of event created by viveVR. The logs does correspond pretty well with what I experience happening. (I blacked out some parts on the picture that could potentially relate to my devices specific information)

Link to post
Share on other sites

cant be bothered to search through the logs sorry, but here's the file from when I started a game, where the headset restarted like 6 times in the span on 24 seconds.
this would include personal info, but idk how in the hell to report the file to the vive people securely, and really am like super demotivated for anything because of this ruthless uncurable issue vive has seemingly created

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cate said:

cant be bothered to search through the logs sorry, but here's the file from when I started a game, where the headset restarted like 6 times in the span on 24 seconds.
this would include personal info, but idk how in the hell to report the file to the vive people securely, and really am like super demotivated for anything because of this ruthless uncurable issue vive has seemingly created

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.txt 4.21 MB · 1 download

By just looking roughly at the events in the log, it does indeed seem similar, though your log seems to get a little bit more events happening from your lighthouses before HMD gets shut off, but this is maybe because you play on wireless.

Both our cases seems to be initiated by ViveVR if I read the logs correctly, so I would say it is very likely that this is a software problem.
Admittedly in my case, the cable is the only part that has been "vulnerable" to damage through my time of use, as the HMD has seen no drops, bangs or any sort of rough use that would be leading to HMD failure when it worked perfectly fine for almost 2 months prior to this.

Does your HMD work ok if you use it with a cable connection?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It works flawlessly wired.
Also woah!!!! Wired looks SOOOOOOOOOO much better than wireless!!!! The increased resolution, colour, detail, less blur, and also zero latency! WOAH! I considered going cable, and using hooks, but then after playing gorilla tag, I noticed not being able to turn in real life is a massive pain. Also, the cable is super uncomfortable.

VIVE, if you continue pcvr headsets, also prioritise upgrading wireless hardware massively! Also make sure that the batteries are compatible, and don't make it absurdly priced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C.T. said:

The new wireless kits should contain the bigger Watts battery pack.
Make sure you are using the following one with the Cosmos series or newer model.

https://www.vive.com/au/accessory/power-bank-21w/

Yep, I use these - own 2 infact, and regardless of their charge, and either one I use, I still experience the constant rebooting. I have tried a total of 3 USB cables that conenct the battery to the adapter, and all give the same issue.

However from a VIVE console report I've sent, a team member emailed back to me with a list of diagnostic steps. I'll see if any of them work, and if so report here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, C.T. said:

The new wireless kits should contain the bigger Watts battery pack.
Make sure you are using the following one with the Cosmos series or newer model.

https://www.vive.com/au/accessory/power-bank-21w/

Heya, is it possible to get an earlier version of the ViveVR software for testing in relation to the mentioned issues ive had in this thread?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So one main thing the vive worker suggested, was moving the wireless pcie card from anything but a 1x, to 1x. Doing this as well as removing an unnecessary wireless wifi pcie card, re-tightening the cable for the wireless transmitter and giving it a wipe, wireless (so far...), is working great!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Ă—
Ă—
  • Create New...