Vive going grey, controllers vibrating and blinking lights.

Hello there. 

My problem currently is that my Vive just randomly starts showing me grey screen, and my controllers starting to vibrate and have their lights flickers colours. Now, I have used this set up for a long time, easily a year if not more, and never have had any issues whatsoever. And it also seems to only become and issue when I play Half Life Alyx, after playing it for roughly 45-60 minutes. However even then that issue is new as well, because when I originally started playing said game a week or so ago, I played my first time for at least 3 hours without any issues. Furthermore I have played The Room VR completely, without any issues as well, which again was an endeavor of roughly 2 or 3 hours... Everything is fully up-to-date so it isnt a firmware issue, I have not once moved my light houses, I made sure the light house fronts are clean so they can easily pick up the signals... I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong, so I hope somebody here knows what might be the issue. 

5 minutes ago, HackPerception said:

@Darkflamespirit When this happens, do you hear the Windows 10 hardware connect/disconnect sound? Does your audio change devices (say back to your TV/monitor)?

Nothing of the sort at all. It just quietly and suddenly happens, the only thing sound wise that happens is that the sound gets muffled when the screen turns grey, as it always does when one actually goes out of lighthouse range.

@Darkflamespirit The white is definitely tracking loss. I ask because I have a specific hunch based off your description. The reason I mentioned the disconnect sound is that it sounds like the controllers are becoming momentarily unpaired. One potential scenario here is that you have a bad/loose HMD tether and when you move in a specific way, it causes the cable to short/disconnect momentarily. The controllers connect to the HMD and the data goes through the cable - if you have a bad tether or something - exactly what you describe can happen. You usually hear the USB disconnect sound though if you have a valid audio device to fall back to - hence why I asked.

If you had just a standard tracking problem, the screen would turn white but the controllers would remain paired and shouldn't make nose.

This could maybe also be a power surge or related to static electricity. I had a carpeted playroom in one house where the static was so bad, something similar to what you're describing would happen all of the time once enough static built up - that is until I finally shocked it to death one say day.

3 minutes ago, HackPerception said:

@Darkflamespirit The white is definitely tracking loss. I ask because I have a specific hunch based off your description. The reason I mentioned the disconnect sound is that it sounds like the controllers are becoming momentarily unpaired. One potential scenario here is that you have a bad/loose HMD tether and when you move in a specific way, it causes the cable to short/disconnect momentarily. The controllers connect to the HMD and the data goes through the cable - if you have a bad tether or something - exactly what you describe can happen. You usually hear the USB disconnect sound though if you have a valid audio device to fall back to - hence why I asked.

If you had just a standard tracking problem, the screen would turn white but the controllers would remain paired and shouldn't make nose.

This could maybe also be a power surge or related to static electricity. I had a carpeted playroom in one house where the static was so bad, something similar to what you're describing would happen all of the time once enough static built up - that is until I finally shocked it to death one say day.

I see that does makes sense yeah. Oh, I should mention the controllers vibrating and blinking doe snot always happen! It happens like... 1/4 times possibly? And playing on a wood floor, so it certainly is not static issues either.