Vive error grayscreen

banjo

Whenever I play VR and look in the direction of one of my basestations (no matter where i stand in my room) i will get a grayscreen and my vive controllers would be stuck floating in game until I look somewhere else.

Does somebody know how to fix it? 

I would suspect one of three things.

1. That specific base-station has a mechanical problem (i.e. has a dead laser).
    1. Ensure the base-station has updated firmware. The older firmware can't detect when a base-station is sending out bad tracking data. The newer firmwares have error detection and error reporting and will send a notification back to SteamVR letting you know the base-station has a mechanical problem.
  2. You have a reflective surface in your environment that is causing the lasers to bounce around. Please see below for instructions in the quote bubble below on how to verify if it's a reflection issue. Usually controllers flying off in a direction is a symptom of reflections.
  3. You have some source of infrared or electromagenetic interference coming from that direction (e.g. sunlight).

bonus: That basestation may not be getting a clean & steady supply of power. This can happen when the station is on the same electrical circuit as a high draw device like an air conditioner or a fridge.

"Reflective surfaces" in practice are extraordinarily hard to track down without specialized equipment because materials interact differently with IR light than optical light. A material may not be reflective in the visible spectrum but may be highly reflective in the IR spectrum; the same is true with opacity, some visibly opaque materials will be complete transparent in IR and vice versa. To detect reflections, generate a system report via SteamVR -> Generate System Report. Save it as a .txt, then open the document in notepad (or SteamVR's system report viewer) and search for the following term "back-facing". Here's what a reflection problem looks like in a system report:

Sun Jun 26 2016 23:02:09.676 - lighthouse: LHR-4E8EF209 H: Dropped 32312 back-facing hits, 2069 non-clustered hits during the previous tracking session