Vive Pro 2 and HTC wireless

groslala

Will the Vive Pro 2 be compatible with the HTC wireless? I guess the resolution and maybe the power requirement could be a problem, but that would be great. HTC still has the best VR wireless system, and considering the bandwidth of the 60 Ghz wifi, it should be possible, when we see what Oculus does with a simple wifi 5 connexion (but great compression algorithms).

Most of this is listed right on the Vive website if you took a look at it. https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro2/overview/

*VIVE Wireless Adapter supports 2448 x 1224 resolution and 90Hz refresh rate when used with VIVE Pro 2. 3264 x 1632 resolution support coming soon.

Additionally, the 3264 x 1632 resolution support coming soon will be in the form of a software update, not a hardware update.

I have also confirmed with the HTC Vive Support Team that the Vive Pro Wireless Adapter Attachment Kit is compatible with the Vive Pro 2.

Hopefully that answers all of your questions.

As Fox said,

• Wireless Adapter work does with with Pro 2. You need to "Pro Attach kit" which is the kit that contains the special short cable to attach a Pro/Pro 2 to the adapter.
  • There will be a software update post launch, which will be needed to achieve higher resolutions. Out of the box, it will upscale.

20 hours ago, HackPerception said:

As Fox said,

• Wireless Adapter work does with with Pro 2. You need to "Pro Attach kit" which is the kit that contains the special short cable to attach a Pro/Pro 2 to the adapter.
  • There will be a software update post launch, which will be needed to achieve higher resolutions. Out of the box, it will upscale.

Does the "Pro Attach kit" come with the wireless adapter now or is that an additional charge? I am assuming that it does and that the "Pro Attach kit"  is just for those who bought the wireless adapter before the Vive Pro 1 was released.

@groslala - Yes, there will be some upscaling. This headset gets into 5-10+gbps territory (even higher if supersampling). With the exception of perhaps 5G UWB, there's no wireless protocols that have gotten regulatory approval that can support the insane bandwidth required to drive 5K. We were able to make the original wireless adapter SKU compatible with 3 generations of devices which is pretty awesome - but fully supporting another generation of devices will probably require a SKU refresh because it's not our goal to compress the image to hell like you see with WiFi streaming. A ton of countries haven't even approved 5G and don't have a single 5G tower so that's not a solution OEMs can leverage at scale yet (and if they could, it would be $$$). WiFi6 requires compression.

That said, you'd probably notice far more quality drop much more with a WiFi system like Quest Link / Virtual Desktop than you'd notice with the upscaled WiGig image.

With Pro 2 - we're hitting the limits of copper cabling. We're right on the edge upon which you'd need to switch to a fiber optic tether. I think Varjo charges many hundreds of dollars just for a replacement fiber optic tether.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

From a practical point of view, will there be a big difference between the wireless Vive Pro 2 and my wireless Cosmos Elite, concerning resolution, not FOV of course?

Dear Everyone and HackPerception,

I have the vive pro 2 on pre-order with the wireless kit.

I also own quest 2, and today it got official update to enable 120hz over the wifi, which works so well I cannot wrap my brain around it.

How is it that the wireless kit that alone cost me more than quest2 does not do 120hz wirelessly? This is laughable. My full vive set is costing me 3400 Canadian when the quest2 can be had for 450.

And quest2 does 120hz wirelessly when vive pro 2 doesn't?

How are we justifying lack of 120hz on the wireless?

Help me understand.

I'm a computer engineer by trade, and I do not understand why we cannot have a tradeoff for wireless wireless at the cost of some compression.

• 2 weeks later...

So, no answer to my question about the difference between my 1440 x 1700 pixels per eye wireless Cosmos Elite and the 1632 x 1632 pixel per eye (upgraded to 2448 x 2448) Vive Pro 2. I guess I have to wait for independant comparative tests...

maxstepHackPerception already answered your question. HTC use almost no compression, contrary to Oculus, that's why the image is much better and there is no latency, but it's much heavier. With the resolution of the VP2, it reaches the limits of the existing wireless technology bandwidth, even at 90 Hz. Concerning the price, Oculus have a very different policy that enables selling their HMDs at the lowest price on the market, by far. For professional use, the price of the Quest is the double.