Vive pro eye + Vive lip tracker only works on Intel chipset USB PCIE cards? But what card is it??

I am having an extremely difficult time running Vive pro eye and lip tracking hardware on my PC (pc specs).

Vive Pro Eye + Lip tracking is not working together at all on my PC (or any of my other studio PCs).

Vive Pro Eye + Lip tracking only works individually, but if I enable both sensors then the USB devices reset and neither works anymore.

It's very frustrating that no one at HTC made it clear that Lip tracker was incompatible with Vive pro eye on common PCs. At least for me they do not work together.

If I use the vive wireless adapter they they both do work but the connect becomes so slow and basically useless.

I have read that the Vive is extremely sensitive to USB chipsets but no one goes into details, so I am left in a void, where do I get proper USB hardware now? What card do I need?

Please someone help me, I have been trying to add lip tracking to my game for weeks, everyone keeps asking me why it's taking so long and all I can say is I think HTC is not paying attention to their products and released something broken?? Which is not helping my communities confidence in this new lip tracking sensor thing.

Please someone inform me what is best USB3.0 PCIE card so I may use both eye and lip tracking at the same time - and recommend to my community!! Please!!! This is becoming very urgent!!

Edited by AirMouse
  • Like 1

I am still waiting for our new lip tracker module. But reading this and some other posts about issues with using eye and lip tracking simultaneously makes me think that it was a bad idea to buy the module for our VR lab.

Let's hope HTC does fix these bugs pretty soon.

On Youtube are some demos of eye and lip tracking and there seams to be no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @pwoz I hope you do not have the same experiences that I am. This is like having a really nice car that has costed you a fortune but when you try to start the engine it just sputters out and refuses to work.

Can someone please recommend a USB PCIE card I can try? I am on a limited budget and can't buy numorous PCIE cards to try to find one that works

please please please someone list some possible working USB card models and I will start by purchasing those to see if they are working. Thank you.

Edited by AirMouse

I found this webpage on vive.com that recommends using the Inateck KTU3FR-2O2I pcie card for the Vive Pro. And this page at valvesoftware that lists some compatible cards.

I have no clue if any of them will solve the Vive Pro Eye + lip tracker together crashing USB issues ??

But I saw the KTU3FR-202I is sold out and not available anywhere.

I ordered a KT4006 instead as it appears to have the same chipset (from what I can tell in the pictures).

I hope this is the solution so i can finally use my facecap hardware together. 

I really hope I am not wasting $25 on something unrelated to the actual issue. I am still very disappointed that my I9 Asus z390 mobo did not work (as well as other PCs) including all other USB 3 ports and pcie cards i have tested do not work and show the same USB drivers crashing every time - so yea, i'm not very optimistic it is USB chipset related and probably something is broken or faulty in HTC's design - but will report back soon with results.

Edited by AirMouse

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing has made any difference - the vive eye and lip tracking do not work together at all. Even after using the USB chipsets recommended by HTC (and high end PC with best possible cabling) and all I get is constant USB disconnect sounds and SRANIPAL keeps crashing after starting eye tracing then starting lip tracking. This even happens on multiple PCs in my studio and on multiple OSs.

I can't understand how this can be a product if it does not work. I have tried so many things, no on here is offering any advice - just complete regarding the subject.

What do I need to do, fix or purchase in order to make Eye and the Lip tracking work together? Is there another USB card I can try? I have very limited budget so all of this guessing and purchasing of hardware that does not make improvements is becoming costly.

Please HTC help me so I can use your premium HMD for face tracking, this I ask you kindly to please devote a small portion of your time to at least responding to my pleas for help - I have be a loyal customer and have spent multiple $1,000 of dollars on your products, but now you completely ignore my requests for information or assistance?

Edited by AirMouse

Hi @AirMouse,

Sorry for the late reply.

We did find Lip Tracker can't be recognized if we plug the USB cable in the front-side of PC USB port.

Could you have a try to plug in the back-side of PC USB port since the power capability between these two may different?

Additionally, you mentioned the USB device reset symptom, do you observe this reset from Device Manager Console? 

Or could you describe further what's "USB reset"?

Also, on your description regarding to "Crash", do you mean SRanipal runtime already started then crash?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Having recieved my tracker today, I'm running into the same issue with the pro eye. It works someewhat when plugged into usb 2.0 but freezes for a second every 2 seconds or so. It will not work at all in usb 3 but the eye tracking will. Buying a new motherboard anyways so hopefully that fixes the problem. Such a shame the logs don't really show what the problem is

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 5:35 AM, Tony PH Lin said:

Hi @AirMouse,

Sorry for the late reply.

We did find Lip Tracker can't be recognized if we plug the USB cable in the front-side of PC USB port.

Could you have a try to plug in the back-side of PC USB port since the power capability between these two may different?

Additionally, you mentioned the USB device reset symptom, do you observe this reset from Device Manager Console? 

Or could you describe further what's "USB reset"?

Also, on your description regarding to "Crash", do you mean SRanipal runtime already started then crash?

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by front port??

I actually purchased and entire USB3.0 card for this Vive and it DID NOT resolve the issue.

No matter what I do I can not get this lip tracker working with my Vive pro eye,

I am a software engineer and spend a large majority of my time debugging software/hardware, so something as simple as a Vive USB camera should not be this complicated!

Also I recently spent $8000 building my VR ready PC, so there should be no reason my PC can't support this hardware.

It's just broken, to this day Vive Eye and Vive Lip refuse to work together.

I purchased my Vive pro eye the first day it was available - so I'm sure you sent me some early beta model or prototype HMD that probably has tons of issues with it. But still, why is something as simple as USB not working and constantly disconnecting (makes USB disconnect sound in Windows over and over and over and over) and nothing works at all!!!

I have purchased a USB extension cable and have to zip tie that to my Vive cable as a second USB cable just for this Lip track camera, which works but is bulky and weighs more, and the cable cost $50

Being a developer who creates games for Vive and I recommended Vive to my community/customers often but I am now the one who has to suffer with crap hardware from a company that won't return my calls.

A waste of money is what I call this thing now. Unless you can help me fix it I'm sticking with Apple IOS facecap which uses superior Truedepth technology, Vive can't even get USB working .. argggh so much wasted money on this I have given to you HTC, got very little back in return - mostly just headache.

Edited by AirMouse

Hey Airmouse,

I actually had similar issues as you did. I couldn't for the life of me figure out a solution. I eventually got a replacement tracker (a horrendous experience) and its just kind of been working over wireless (for Benaclejames's software). I recently tested it with the Vive Pro 2 cable and linkbox, and it worked fine for everything else. Obviously I have no solid conclusion (and this is something Vive themselves should be looking into but they obviously aren't) but it seems it could have either been 1. a faulty lip tracker, which seems unlikely as the replacement I got had the same manufacturing time frame, 2. a bad headset cable, which may also be related to 3. bad linkbox?