Vive Pro Eye - High CPU Usage

It seems that everyone in Neos VR using the eye-tracker is having a large amount of CPU usage from SRanipalruntime. This amount varies between 8 to 25% per user. This CPU usage even persists while no longer using VR with the headset off. Interestingly, this percentage seems to be lower if mouth tracking hardware is installed. Small sample size, so this may just be coincidence. For myself, it is using 15-16% of my overclocked and water-cooled 10900k for eye-tracking only. I will be getting the mouth tracker when it is available to see if there is any change. Is it expected for the eye-tracker to use this much processing or is something wrong with the software?

I confirmed that this happens before even launching a Neos. It will happen as soon as the eye-tracker is utilized. The eye calibrator will cause the same CPU usage.

Edited by Reactant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe SRanipal runtime ver1.3.2.0 has an high usage issue.

Bellow quote from engineer found that runtime version 1.3.2.0 eat up the CPU performance massively.

(Note: the below quote is saying about VIVE facial tracker user.)

• 4 months later...

Same here. The SRanipal is eating up so much of the CPU (i5-7500T) that the computer can't process the VR scene properly. By that I mean that the whole Unity Scene is lagging.

grafik.png.80d11eee47a5f07c296c95ec7d67e9fa.png

Once I deactive the eye-tracking, it runs smoothly again. Can it really be that SRanipal is supposed to eat up that much CPU?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheTheThe said:

Did anyone end up finding a way to lower SRanipal? I am running into the same issue as all of you.

No, not a proper solution at least.

I'm suspecting my CPU (i5-7500T) is just not fit for SRanipal--what are you using?

My work-around so far is to set affinity of the process to 2 cores. This helps a lot, but makes the eye-tracking lag a lot. Are you using this for gaming purposes or lab purposes, or...?

20 hours ago, ZakaDjeb said:

No, not a proper solution at least.

I'm suspecting my CPU (i5-7500T) is just not fit for SRanipal--what are you using?

My work-around so far is to set affinity of the process to 2 cores. This helps a lot, but makes the eye-tracking lag a lot. Are you using this for gaming purposes or lab purposes, or...?

Hey, sorry for the late response. Couldn't get onto a computer until now and the phone wouldn't let me login. I am using an i7-9700k. I sent a message into Vive Support and will update here when they respond. Hoping they have an answer for us. 

I appreciate your work around. Unfortunately from the sound of it, it will not help me out very much though if the eye tracking lags. I am using this to test programs, software, and a video game I have been working on. It definitely isn't being cause by the vive facial tracker, since with eye tracking disabled, I can track my mouth with the facial tracker at 4% usage. Eye tracking with facial is around 40 to 45% for me, and without facial tracker it is about 35% to 40%. 

Like others have said, even if I do not have the headset on my head, or any programs using it, it still drains 40% with the eye tracker. And based on what testamundo presented, 1.3.1 works just fine at about 8%. 

I think there is something wrong with the 1.3.2 version itself. Both you and I shouldn't have any problems even with our weaker processors. I am surprised after how many months nobody else has mentioned an issue though.