Will New Vive Cosmos controllers work with Vive Cosmos Elite headset?

Saltgrass

3 hours ago, Saltgrass said:

I was just wondering if the Vive Cosmos controllers with the design and lights work with the Vive Cosmos Elite headset?

Thanks..

No, of course these will not work because they use different tracking methods.  Please do a little google research before posting.  Thanks.

That's pretty harsh people. Just because you already know the answer, and I'm sure you were new to a lot of things at some time and had to ask for help to find your way around, after all isn't that what this and other forums are all about, helping each other find answers? 

In answer to your question @Saltgrass the answer is no and a place to find the info is on the main Vive Webpage under products\ accessories\vive Cosmos controllers https://www.vive.com/au/accessory/cosmos-controller-left/ it says:

*Not compatible with the following products:
HTC VIVE
VIVE Pro Series
VIVE Pro Eye Series
VIVE Cosmos Elite

I hope this helps you and don't be shy to come here asking questions someone will usually try to answer you.

Cheers! Fink.

Quotation from Carl Sagan, in his work The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark said: "There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Noone actually explained:

tl;dr: the cosmos has cameras which see the controllers; the elite uses a more advanced robust "speed camera" type tracking system. The two can't mix because they aren't designed to be able to mix.

The reason the cosmos controllers wouldn't work with the elite variant is because:
-The elite uses valve's lighthouse "outside-in" tracking method, which works where 2 basically radars actively look for an invisible (infra-red) light, which would also send some basic location like where the light is produced from. These lighthouses with their new-found info report it back to your computer, which calculates that because of the position of the infrared light, your elite headset must be in this position in this rotation and what-not.
-The cosmos uses "inside-out", which is where cameras on the headset look for some signs (think QR codes), and then they'd do the same thing: do some maths to figure out the orientation the device is in. The headset knows where it is by looking at the walls, and the controllers know where they are because the cosmos' cameras can see them, and therefore 'predict' their location in space.

So, using inside-out controllers with an outside-in headset simply would not work becase the headset would not know what to look for, and also because the inside-out controllers wouldn't have these infrared lights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cate said:

Noone actually explained:

tl;dr: the cosmos has cameras which see the controllers; the elite uses a more advanced robust "speed camera" type tracking system. The two can't mix because they aren't designed to be able to mix.

The reason the cosmos controllers wouldn't work with the elite variant is because:
-The elite uses valve's lighthouse "outside-in" tracking method, which works where 2 basically radars actively look for an invisible (infra-red) light, which would also send some basic location like where the light is produced from. These lighthouses with their new-found info report it back to your computer, which calculates that because of the position of the infrared light, your elite headset must be in this position in this rotation and what-not.
-The cosmos uses "inside-out", which is where cameras on the headset look for some signs (think QR codes), and then they'd do the same thing: do some maths to figure out the orientation the device is in. The headset knows where it is by looking at the walls, and the controllers know where they are because the cosmos' cameras can see them, and therefore 'predict' their location in space.

So, using inside-out controllers with an outside-in headset simply would not work becase the headset would not know what to look for, and also because the inside-out controllers wouldn't have these infrared lights.

Ya, same as Oculus Rift cv1 vs Rift S.

4 minutes ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, same as Oculus Rift cv1 vs Rift S.

nope, it won't work. 

Cosmos controller only work under 6 cam version of Cosmos.
If you want to use with Cosmos Elite, you will need a light house version controller, for example Vive Wands

This thread is a little strange since I thought I posted the answer prior to anyone responding.  It took me a little while to find the fine print where I found it..  

But thanks to those who gave a reasonable response..  I was going to post another thread about the Vive dashboard causing Alyx to lock up my system but I suppose I will do that on another forum..

Edited by Saltgrass