Rottex

Vive controllers are not detected while connected to usb during SteamVR start-up

My controllers are fine and the whole setup works without issues. Because I spend a lot of time in VR I have permanently connected my controllers to USB in order to charge them all the time. I just have one annoying issue: when I startup SteamVR then my controllers are not detected after turning them on by pressing the button below the touchpad. I have to unplug them before the start-up and when SteamVR has found them I can attach the controllers again without issues for the rest of the day. (When I finish my work I turn off SteamVR and my base-stations and controllers are powered down automatically for convienience but this setting AFAIK does not cause this problem.)

I think this is because the controllers are checking usb-connection on startup for possible firmeware updates?

Is there any chance to fix this behavior?

@Rottex I believe what's happening is a combination of the controllers defaulting into wireless mode and also them going into storage mode. This is a firmware level thing. You're not going to be able to modify this behavior without extensive firmware modding.

If you're using VR for long enough periods that the 4-8 hour battery life is an impediment - your sessions are probably accumulating a fair amount of strain and wear and tear on your body, specifically your eyes. I highly recommend that you follow some variation of the 20-20-20 rule and at least spend a few minutes of each hour outside of the headset focusing on objects at various distances in your environment beyond 20 feet. Modern VR headsets only have the technology to produce a single focal plane and thus it's not great to stare at a headset for hour after hour on end without focusing to different focal planes in real world distances to make up for it. I'd actually recommend leveraging controller charge breaks as a form of self-care. You could also just have external batteries in your pockets that connect to the controllers when required.

Please don't binge without taking breaks - that is really going to accumulate on you.