Vive controllers are not detected while connected to usb during SteamVR start-up

Rottex

My controllers are fine and the whole setup works without issues. Because I spend a lot of time in VR I have permanently connected my controllers to USB in order to charge them all the time. I just have one annoying issue: when I startup SteamVR then my controllers are not detected after turning them on by pressing the button below the touchpad. I have to unplug them before the start-up and when SteamVR has found them I can attach the controllers again without issues for the rest of the day. (When I finish my work I turn off SteamVR and my base-stations and controllers are powered down automatically for convienience but this setting AFAIK does not cause this problem.)

I think this is because the controllers are checking usb-connection on startup for possible firmeware updates?

Is there any chance to fix this behavior?

@Rottex I believe what's happening is a combination of the controllers defaulting into wireless mode and also them going into storage mode. This is a firmware level thing. You're not going to be able to modify this behavior without extensive firmware modding.

If you're using VR for long enough periods that the 4-8 hour battery life is an impediment - your sessions are probably accumulating a fair amount of strain and wear and tear on your body, specifically your eyes. I highly recommend that you follow some variation of the 20-20-20 rule and at least spend a few minutes of each hour outside of the headset focusing on objects at various distances in your environment beyond 20 feet. Modern VR headsets only have the technology to produce a single focal plane and thus it's not great to stare at a headset for hour after hour on end without focusing to different focal planes in real world distances to make up for it. I'd actually recommend leveraging controller charge breaks as a form of self-care. You could also just have external batteries in your pockets that connect to the controllers when required.

Please don't binge without taking breaks - that is really going to accumulate on you.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, VibrantNebula said:

@Rottex I believe what's happening is a combination of the controllers defaulting into wireless mode and also them going into storage mode. This is a firmware level thing. You're not going to be able to modify this behavior without extensive firmware modding.

If you're using VR for long enough periods that the 4-8 hour battery life is an impediment - your sessions are probably accumulating a fair amount of strain and wear and tear on your body, specifically your eyes. I highly recommend that you follow some variation of the 20-20-20 rule and at least spend a few minutes of each hour outside of the headset focusing on objects at various distances in your environment beyond 20 feet. Modern VR headsets only have the technology to produce a single focal plane and thus it's not great to stare at a headset for hour after hour on end without focusing to different focal planes in real world distances to make up for it. I'd actually recommend leveraging controller charge breaks as a form of self-care. You could also just have external batteries in your pockets that connect to the controllers when required.

Please don't binge without taking breaks - that is really going to accumulate on you.

@VibrantNebula: Thank for your response! That is what I thought. Do not worry, I constantly switch between real life and VR! 🙂 With the technology available right now it's for sure not healthy to work for a longer period of time. Since I develop some sort of enterprise kiosk-solution for XR-education it would be fine to have everything connected all the time. Maybe there is a chance to have a switch in order to set the "boot-behavior" in the future or at least provide some sort of built-in wireless charging...?

2 hours ago, christianagdmn said:

I agree with the administrator. Spending a lot of time on virtual reality can be harmful. Please make it a rule to control your time. For example, when I work, I use special employees monitoring software. It controls the time spent on the Internet and individual software. Try this out

For the single user we have already implemented a in-app possibility to control >themself< and time is limited by the lesson.  I am not sure from where you come from but it is against the law to monitor people here. It is further against security to connect outside to the internet (and I would not rely on external solutions for education with strict time-plans anyway). I also hope hidden marketing is not against the forum rules? 🙂 🙂 I appreciate any input and I´m always looking forward to have rich discussions but please stay focused to the (technical) topic asked in the initial question, otherwise this thread will last forever... 🙂