(Solved) Vive Console crashes during install.

truehand

When running ViveSetup the app crashes every time during the "Preparing" phase of installation.

SteamVR "sees" the headset and displays on the computer monitor what I should be seeing through the headset, but the headset remains in sleep mode (red light) and the display remains black.

I've tried running it in Admin mode, restarting the comp and running it, moving which USB and DP slots the headset is plugged into. Nothing has worked.

I just need to get the drivers installed but can't do that.

@truehand Is it installing the Vive Console? SteamVR can't drive the headset unless the application called "Vive Console" is running.

You may have luck by trying to delete any temp files associated with the installer, then rebooting your PC and trying the installer again:

• C:/Users/<USER>/AppData/Local/Temp
  • %localappdata\temp\ViveInstall

You can safely indeterminately delete these folders and it may help. Antivirus can also be responsible for blocking the installer.

Thank you for the prompt response.

I have done as instructed, though my computer would not let me delete the entire C:/Users/<USER>/AppData/Local/Temp folder as it was "in use" I went in a deleted three folders with Vive as their prefix. I restarted and ran the installer.

It went through "Checking Version" then "Downloading", then "Preparing" - when the progress bar reached the end during Preparing the app simply disappeared/closed/crashed.

I did a Cortana search and the only thing it found was the ViveSetup.exe installer file in my Downloads folder.

My antivirus is only the built-in Windows Defender. I have no third-party AV.

Vive Console is definitely not installed or running.

image.png.546f7be95cc4d3a7aa7162c1e97d4e9d.png

There's nothing from Vive under the Services tab either.

Well the first thing sorry for using the google translator. The first thing you have? If you use amd ryzen I will tell you that you have the same problem that I have or that I had and it is the chipset driver and usb drivers. You can install it again but disable or google "How to prevent Windows 10 Update from updating drivers".

You can also notice that it installs or recognizes the usb and then turns off look at it in device management.

19 hours ago, cusa123 said:

Well the first thing sorry for using the google translator. The first thing you have? If you use amd ryzen I will tell you that you have the same problem that I have or that I had and it is the chipset driver and usb drivers. You can install it again but disable or google "How to prevent Windows 10 Update from updating drivers".

You can also notice that it installs or recognizes the usb and then turns off look at it in device management.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, Cusa.

I don't have any AMD components in my computer. I've got Intel Core-i7 with a gtx 1060 graphics card.

I'll take a look at device management / usb issues not recognizing the headset. That's a good lead.

Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, truehand said:

Gracias por tomarse el tiempo para responder a mi post, Cusa.

No tengo ningún componente AMD en mi computadora. Tengo Intel Core-i7 con una tarjeta gráfica gtx 1060.

Voy a echar un vistazo a la gestión de dispositivos / problemas usb no reconocer los auriculares. Es una buena pista.

Gracias de nuevo.

It's a Windows 10 problem.

My best advice is to format the pc if you come from a very old version of w10 as 18xx and go straight to 20h2. If you can't solve it, Success !!

3 hours ago, cusa123 said:

It's a Windows 10 problem.

My best advice is to format the pc if you come from a very old version of w10 as 18xx and go straight to 20h2. If you can't solve it, Success !!

Yeah, it may come to that. 

I've been trying to avoid doing that, but it looks like it might be unavoidable.

Thanks.