Focus Plus and Steam/Viveport Desktop don't like each other

Traxx

New to VR and starting with a focus plus, mainly since it makes more sense for travel. Trying to get it to talk with Viveport Desktop and steamVR. During the set up of VPD the focus is not on the list of headsets. So I skip, when clicking the headset button in the upper right corner it launches Steam vr and asks me to plug in the USB to the headset.

What am I missing?

@Traxx The wireless streaming solution is in beta and is liked to the Viveport client. Once you set up streaming within the Focus HMD, you should see your PCVR library if everything is set up correctly. Once you boot a Viveport game using the PC Client, it establishes the SteamVR streaming link. After that link is open, there's technically nothing stopping you from going and booting non-Viveport SteamVR binaries (e.g. Steam) but your results will be hit and miss. Streaming beta access is currently limited to Viveport Infinity subscribers and you have to be logged into the same Viveport account on both the Focus and your PC's Viveport client.

https://service.viveport.com/hc/en-us/sections/360007162591-VIVEPORT-Streaming

I got it to work, however it is pretty intermittent and needs to reload. Moved the router and changed channels as well, that cut down on some of the reloading. Stranger would work a little shakey then adjusted the settings from epic to high and it smoothed right out, but viveport and steam apps still stutter pretty badly.

So what I am getting is that I will need to download what ever app/game to the computer and then operate it from the menu on the HDS. Even with high speed internet.

Is there a way to go direct from the computer to the headset in a mini network without the internet?

@Traxx - Not currently, you need to go from the PC -> WiFI Router. You should be using your 5Ghz SSID and not a 2.4Gz network. You can reduce the latency further by using an Ethernet cable to go from the PC -> router rather than using WiFi for the PC. Performance should generally be okay and usable but it's really hard to troubleshoot these setups remotely because not only is it based on your PC but also external factors like your networking gear, and any potential RF interference in your environment. It's also still technically a beta feature so there's some fundamental instability just from it being early access software.

I have been using the 5Ghz WiFi. The reason for purchasing is for travel, and a possible lack of high speed internet or even access to 5Ghz. 

So on to the next one. Is a WiFi network needed to play downloaded games or run apps? 

@Traxx  - Well, yes but it's more specific than that. Both devices need to connected to the same router. The PC can be connected using 5Ghz or Ethernet, but ideally Ethernet because it lowers the amount of data traveling over the air and reduces latency. The headset needs to be connected to the router via 5Ghz - 2.4Ghz can't support high enough data rates. The streaming data doesn't travel over the internet - that's all local. The internet connection on that modem is required so you can authenticate DRM for the content and actually boot the content.

I believe there are only 3 widely somewhat supported solutions for content streaming in VR currently (Virtual Desktop, ReLive, and Viveport Streaming). All 3 have the same basic requirements and all work very similarly from an end user prospective. For instance, right now Oculus Quest 2 users are going out and buying specific (and sometimes expensive) WiFi 6 routers specifically to utilize virtual desktop streaming at the highest quality. There are still a decent amount of UX barriers which is why it's not a feature you see any common HMD manufacturer (e.g. Vive or Oculus) coming out and supporting officially fully yet - we consider our solution to be a beta and Oculus does not offer a first party solution and the only streaming options on a quest are considered unsupported third party mods which require you to put the device in developer mode.

WiFi isn't the best native solution for this - especially because there many generations of WiFi devices out there. It remains to be seen what technology that the industry will base future wireless tethering support around but it's basically either use WiFi currently with it's limitations or adopt more exotic solutions (e.g. 60Ghz) which is expensive because it's not widely used.

Sooooooo, what I am gathering is that the Focus Plus is not a true mobile device. I mean, if I need to have WiFi to use it at all. That changes things, and makes it nearly useless for my applications.