Burn mark on lens (?)

Chris1000000

I just bought a second hand Vive Cosmos. "Newer used" on Tradera (Ebay in Sweden)

It was unpacked but not much used, looked brand new to me.

But there is a small black mark with a few white pixels on the left lens, like a ant that's on your glasses, real annoying but might be tolerable... 

You can see that it not total black, some pixels moving behind i bright light. Looks like burnt plastic...  Seems to work fine otherwise (first VR I ever tried and I only got a GTX 1050)

1. Any idea of what it can be?
  2. Why has it occurred?
  3. Will it get worse?
  4. How can I fix it?

It is a  Christmas gift for the kids, I rather not give away something broken.

I found one other that had same problem, but thread ended whit no answers...

IMG_1231.jpg

Chris aparentemente veo que es una quemadura, pero por desgracia htc no creo que te envié un cono de lente de repuesto y pantalla. Qué buena oferta sería para htc para vender repuesto y ni siquiera te digo si vende las pantallas con cualquier mejora, pero buen htc aparentemente tiene mucho dinero y no quiere vender piezas de repuesto. Desafortunadamente también vi otro lugar donde el mismo tipo de última quemadura les sucedió poner una foto con la visera en. Dios tenga piedad de usted, usted sabe que usted no tiene que comprar para el próximo. Si htc vendió piezas de repuesto la compañía haría mejor que podría actualizar el visor y al menos quitarse el tremendo stock que tiene caro y viejo sólo tiene que cambiar algunas cosas.

Hi mate.

If you're handy or have a computer repair shop near you why don't you just replace the lenses (both) with the lens upgrade kits for the Cosmos that you can get on eBay and other places since the HMD is probably out of warranty anyway if it's second hand, though you should check that first. If done correctly the end result is purported to be better than the original lenses by almost everyone who has tried it look it up on YouTube plenty of videos. It will definitely be in time for Christmas for the kids just make sure you get the correct ones for the Cosmos as the 3D printed lens mounts that you put into the HMD are specific for that model. It's not supported by Vive of course but I'm sure they don't care if it puts a smile on your kids faces at Christmas time.

Good luck and let us know if you go ahead with it.

Cheers Fink.

@Chris1000000 - I think you got scammed and would attempt to reverse/challenge the purchase.

It's hard to tell from these photos but my best guess is that this is sun damage. The lenses in VR headsets act as magnifying glasses and focus the sun into a laser beam that can burn the screen. It's not something that's covered under warranty and if our repair system accepts it - it would cost a fair amount to repair.

Here are some examples but the damage could vary a bit.
Big black spot and streak in the headset view? What is this? : ValveIndex

This appeared on my Rift S screen. Sun damage? : oculus

Lenovo Explorer WMR - Dead Pixels? Burn In? Just appeared today. : WindowsMR

SUN DAMAGED SCREEN - Must Sticky — Oculus

@Chris1000000 - You can isolate it from being on the screen and being on the lens but putting the headset on and using your hands to wiggle the HMD back and forth. If the damage is on the lens, you'll see the aberration move in the foreground against the background (VR scene), if it's the LCD, the damage will be fixed on the display panel and won't really shift around.

Kind of hard to describe in words but you should be able to tell what focal plane the defect is on by wiggling the headset a little so the angles in the optical path shift around.

edit: Yes - it looks like the LCD was exposed to direct sunlight which has caused a burn on the LCD. Imagine a magnifying glass and an ant. If you take closer photos of the single lenses, I can get a closer look.

11 hours ago, Fink said:

Hi mate.

If you're handy or have a computer repair shop near you why don't you just replace the lenses (both) with the lens upgrade kits for the Cosmos that you can get on eBay and other places since the HMD is probably out of warranty anyway if it's second hand, though you should check that first. If done correctly the end result is purported to be better than the original lenses by almost everyone who has tried it look it up on YouTube plenty of videos. It will definitely be in time for Christmas for the kids just make sure you get the correct ones for the Cosmos as the 3D printed lens mounts that you put into the HMD are specific for that model. It's not supported by Vive of course but I'm sure they don't care if it puts a smile on your kids faces at Christmas time.

Good luck and let us know if you go ahead with it.

Cheers Fink.

Where do you get a cosmos update kit on ebay gives a link? that interests me as much as an update and to repair that htc never came up with? they are missing out of selling spare parts out of warranty and with some improvement on display at least so as not to be so far away from quest or hp. 

3 hours ago, cusa123 said:

Where do you get a cosmos update kit on ebay gives a link? that interests me as much as an update and to repair that htc never came up with? they are missing out of selling spare parts out of warranty and with some improvement on display at least so as not to be so far away from quest or hp. 

Hi mate.

I'm probably not allowed to promote any seller's commercial venture's from eBay in this forum directly but if you you can't get parts from the manufacturer for some odd reason you may as well go to eBay and type in Vive lens mod,  about 9 items down the page is a full kit including the lenses and the mounting brackets with tool and instructions.

The other way is to buy a old Gear VR HMD (they go really cheap but only get the BLACK model and around build date around 2016 I think) and carefully remove the lenses (chuck away the rest) then you just have to buy the 3D printed brackets for the Cosmos which cost only a few bucks. Installation is easy if you're patient and careful. I have to say they are different lenses from stock Cosmos lenses not plastic but glass (don't scratch them) but they have a much expanded sweet spot and "most" people say it's better for them both visually and comfort-wise (not so goggled and easier on the eyes) if you look on forums and YouTube but of course try at your own risk and remember it voids warranty if you still have it. Put your old lens in a scratch and dust free place as they can scratch easily.

I suggest check out a few videos and posts on reddit before you try it just so you're comfortable doing it. It really isn't that difficult. Oh and make sure your in a dust free area or do it in a bath room after steaming up the room first to take  the dust out of the  air (let the steam dissipate of course) otherwise you will probably get some get particles on the LCD and see black dots here and there though they can be removed with care. I found it works well but don't blame me if you screw it up 😉 everyone is different in doing these things or maybe get a computer repair shop to do it if you're uncertain but I hope it helps you get more pleasure from your device.

I'm surprised that support won't sell you replacement lenses, if they are damaged they normally love to sell you stuff at a great price 🙂

Fink.

"Fortune favours the brave"

Sorry for delay but it´s the kids Christmas gift and they has not left the house until now.

Took a better picture and one of the lens.

I can see some movement behind the black spot so it is not dead but very dark.

I tried to wiggle the headset, but it is impossible for me to tell where it moves.

vive cosmos1.JPG

vive cosmos2.JPG

vive cosmos3.JPG

A menos que htc extraiga algún kit de lente, cono y pantalla para el cambio, tendrás que conformarte con eso o comprar uno nuevo. Buen negocio sería para htc para vender nuevas lentes poco más cono fov y alguna nueva pantalla "Poco más resolución". Así que podría vender muchos más visores y recoger todo lo malo que genera cosmos.