questions i have before purchasing HTC VR headset

With it being 2020, I was originally going to get an oculus quest 2 as my very first VR headset, but then due to some things I didn't like about it, I decided I wanted a valve index....but after learning that unless I want to pay 2,200.00 for it on amazon, the best way to get the index at 999.00 is to place an order on steam and hope that I'll be able to get my hands on it sometime December, January 2021 or even later than that, but I was able to get a pair of knuckle controllers. And the base stations, you can only get via getting the valve index kit because the base stations are NEVER in stock. 

I was thinking of getting an HTC vive headset, only to learn there are multiple versions. I need help deciding whether or not to go HTC as my first VR experience, and here are some questions I have for it. These questions revolve around the HTC Vive Cosmos Elite because I'm under the impression that's the latest one Vive has right now. 

1. If I purchase an HTC Vive Cosmos Elite kit(VR helmet, controllers and two base stations), is it going to take several months before I get it like the valve index?

2. Is it true that I can use the valve index knuckle controllers on the HTC vive? I already believe this is true based on what I learned on steam. Me asking this here is just my way of double checking. 

3. Purchasing the HTC Vive Cosmos Elite kit on vive's website for 899.00, it looks like it comes with 1.0 base stations. I've seen 2.0 base stations on amazon for 199.00. Is there any reason why I should care wether or not my base stations are 1.0 or 2.0? What's the difference between them anyway? I'm asking this because I'm trying to decide if I'm better off just purchasing the HTC Vive Cosmos Elite VR headset by itself, since I already have a pair of valve index controllers on hand, and I should just go to amazon and get a couple of 2.0 base stations. 

4. What exact accessories do I need to get on vive's website to modify the face interface stuff to swap out the foam for the leather so I can keep my VR headset sanitary? I've figured out how this works so far with oculus quest and index, but have yet to learn how this works with the HTC vive. 

5. Other than the fact that the valve index has 20 degrees extra worth of FOV, what else would I be missing out on if I got an HTC vive cosmos elite instead of the valve index? 

nevermind, I didn't know there was a "contact vive via chat" feature on vive's website. I was able to get all my questions answered. Here are the answers I got to these questions incase anyone else has these:

1. Vive did have a similar back order issue but things are back to normal. It's normal(before covid) type of waiting when purchasing htc vive vr headsets directly from the vive website. 

2. yes i can use valve index knuckle controllers

3. 1.0 base stations are not compatable with 2.0 base stations. 2.0 base stations will not work with valve index cosmos elite vr headsets, which is why it comes with 1.0 base stations. 

4. the customer service rep said that I can purchase leather face cushions separately, but the htc vive cosmos elite COMES with leather cushions so there's no need for me to get it separately

5. there is a 20 degree difference in FOV. under normal circumstances, I would get the valve index headset over the htc vive cosmos. however, since i won't be able to get a valve index kit until SOMETIME NEXT YEAR, I've decided to purchase an HTC vive cosmos elite as my first vr, and then I'll consider trying out the valve index vr headset next year if they ever become available enough where I don't have to wait half a year via pre order to get one.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 7:16 AM, C.T. said:

about #3, Elite is actually BS2.0 compatible. Same as Valve Index Controller. 

I have the vive cosmos elite now and I'm loving it. I had no idea it was compatible with 2.0 base stations. even customer service was telling me I can only use 1.0 base stations on my cosmos elite. If what you say is true, does that mean that if I were to get 4 of the 2.0 base stations, that I can use them all at once just like a valve index? 

@Burned_Follower  If you had the Cosmos Elite Full package and want to play under 2.0 Base stations, you will have to use Vive Controller (2018) or Valve Index Controller, because the full package comes with 1.0 controller <= which doesn't compatible with 2.0 Base station. 

But Yes, Cosmos Elite HMD itself can run perfectly fine with 4 * 2.0 Base stations. 

well that's fantastic! I'm already using valve index controllers because the vive controllers suck in comparison. Yes I did get the full cosmos elite package. I even have a wireless adapter and 2 power banks. I do have some tracking issues with my 2.0 base stations. I tried covering up my big screen tv that I use as a monitor because of it being a reflective service and it helped but it didn't completely fix my tracking problems. I'm hoping that if I got 4 of those 2.0 base stations that I can put one on each corner of my play area, thus giving my controllers direct line of sight no matter how my body is oriented. Am I thinking correctly? 

Edited by Burned_Follower

Here I copied and pasted what I read on steam's website:

Valve Index Base Stations are compatible with any Headset featuring support for SteamVR Version 2.0 Tracking including the Valve Index Headset and HTC Vive Pro Headset.

Valve Index Base Stations can be used with any Controllers featuring support for SteamVR Version 2.0 Tracking including Valve Index Controllers and HTC Vive Pro Controllers.

Valve Index Base Stations are not compatible with the original standard edition of HTC Vive products.

Here's the link where I read it:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1059570/Valve_Index_Base_Station/

to be clear, I don't have the vive pro headset, I have the cosmos elite headset. is that a problem?

However, I found this on vive's website:

https://www.vive.com/us/support/cosmos-elite/category_howto/can-different-versions-of-base-stations-be-used.html

I think I may have been misunderstanding what you were saying, C.T. From what I understand now(that I didn't before), is that the incompatibility comes when trying to use 1.0 and 2.0 base stations together, but 2.0 base stations are compatable with my cosmos elite. so bottom line, I will either have to do ONLY 1.0 base stations, or ONLY 2.0 base stations....but the only reason I should spend the extra money to get 2.0 base stations(since I already have two of the 1.0 base stations) is to either:

a. replace the 1.0 base stations that I have

...or...

b. I want to use more than one base station to improve tracking because for some reason you can't use more than two 1.0 base stations even if I purchased a third 1.0 base station. 

am I understanding this correctly?