50 of 11 ms ... what does this mean?

Vilhiem

So ... been playing Beat Saber with no issues for about a year. Then, about 6 months ago, the sabers got all laggy and couldn't even play the game. So today I turned on the gpu performance graph and I'm seeing a red graph as soon as I turn on Beat Saber and it jumps to 50 of 11ms.  I have no idea what this means or how I can fix it.

Any ideas?  Thanks!!!!!!

Anyone ...?  Is there another place a need to post this question ...?    I don't even know what that first number represents (50 of 11ms at 90 mhz).  Seems like it jumps from 0.1 to 50 once I start a game.

Thanks!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Vilhiem said:

How do I lower the % pixel density with the Vive? Or is it with the GPU, using an Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti ?

Pretty basic SteamVR stuff mate.  Right click on your SteamVR icon ( like you did to get your performance graph.  Select settings then video.  You will see the % pixel density (sometimes referred to as super sampling) slider (global).  With a 1080ti I would slide this to 100% since SteamVR often seems to want it at 130% for some reason.  Anyway try this for starters.  Any time you change this you need to restart your game for it to take effect.  You can also select this by game as well but I’ll leave that for you to figure out yourself.  Good luck mate.

Thanks Tom!  The funny thing is that I don’t recall ever changing this (but who knows, perhaps I did at some point) ... but is it possible I have an issue with my GPU suddenly?  If so, is there any way to check ...?

So, did lowering the %pixel density for Beatsaber help or not?  Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're losing performance, esp. if it was working ok before.  I would not think that Beatsaber would be that hard on your system.  Maybe try uninstalling Beatsaber and reinstall it again, or if it's in your Steam library you can run the verify files option.  If you are using a SteamVR beta maybe try opting out of it. Also it may be worth right clicking on steamVR in your library/properties/files and run the verify files to see if you may have a corrupt SteamVR file.

Of course you can always contact Vive Support and ask them for help. They are usually very helpful. They will probably ask you to send them some log files and will explain how to do this. Pretty easy , and they may be able to more quickly identify your problem imho.  If you think it's a SteamVR issue you can also contact Steam Support and ask them for help.

Sorry but I don't know how to best 'test' your 1080ti gpu (I also use this gpu btw).   In any case if it were a gpu hardware problem it probably would not even work at all.  One thing I have found in the past is that Vive VR does not work well if you are using any gpu overclocking software like msi afterburner.  I was using this with a bit of overclock and I was getting all sorts of instability with VR.  I used the program to go back to stock settings, then uninstalled the OC software.  All's been good since.

The first things I'd do regarding your nvidia setup is to go into your nvidia control panel 3D settings and restore everything to Default (just in case you accidently changed something not good for VR).  Only settings you need to adjust are top line = prefer high powered nvidia gpu (usually only needed if your pc also has an integrated intel gpu, like most laptops), Power = prefer max performance, and v-sync = off.

If that does not help you may want to try a different nvidia driver.  I'm currently using 442.59 because I think it gives me the best overall VR performance.  I use the free program DDU in Safe mode to delete current drivers (lots of info on how to use this, just google).  Also, when I install nvidia drivers I do a custom install and only install driver, hd audio, and physx.

All I can think of mate and I don't think I can be of any further assistance.  Good luck and cheers.

11.1ms means you're rendering at 90fps which is the native framerate of the headset. If you're greater than 11ms it means that you're under 90fps and the computer has to interpolate/synthesize replacement frames to try and hit an artificial 90fps and that you may see framedrops and stuttering. Around 18ms - you start hitting a point where performance is too low for a smooth VR experience. If you're below 11.1ms - your running at a rock solid 90fps and your computer has "headroom"

@Vilhiem "pixel density" isn't really the right term as the pixel density refers to the denisty of pixels on the screen. . He's referring to something called the "Application Render Resolution Multiplier" commonly called "super-sampling". It affects the resolution that your application renders at. You can adjust via Settings -> Video -> Per-Application Video Settings. Going below 100% lowers resolution and improves framerate, going above 100 improves image quality but will decrease your framerate. SteamVR by default tries to automatically adjust this setting but sometimes manually lowering it can solve problems.

image.png.363955edd202d0ef53e6a5da2ec05004.png

image.png.3f9f241500f7dc52da9c7aaf134f06fe.png