• Academic Research

Goals:

• Install SDK -----------------------------  [ X ]
  • Get Eye Gaze -------------------------   [     ]
  • Get Fixation ---------------------------   [     ]
  • Get Pupil Dilation -------------------   [     ]
  • Run Subjects & Get Tenure -----  [     ]

Question:

• How do I reference the SDK's framework / API to extract close to real-time eye tracking data that prints either in a data.frame or CSV file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I've been able to get the VR and eye tracking set up and working per a previous thread with UE 4.25.3 and have a demo with VR functional.

The only thing is I'm not sure where to go from here to get the SDK to write/print data to a csv or similar file.

Presently I don't need any eye tracking interactions within the VR environment so the dartboards and mannequin head are useful in that they show this data exists but I need to get that data out of whatever loop it is in and write it to a data file for processing in statistical programs and the like.

@MariosBikos_HTC , you've been a great help so far. Let me know if you or another HTC fellow are the right ones to ask about this function.

Once I get something functional I'll definitely be sharing it for future folks in my position.

@Corvus would you perhaps be willing to help out with this low-level explanation of how to get at the SDK's data? I'm new to C++ and compiler languages in general so don't know how to call the API (if that is even how this works).

:: UPDATE :: 10-07-20 ::

Application:

• Academic Research

Goals:

• Install SDK -----------------------------  [ X ]
  • Get Eye Gaze -------------------------   [ X ]
  • Get Fixation ---------------------------   [     ]
  • Get Pupil Dilation -------------------   [     ]
  • Run Subjects & Get Tenure -----  [     ]

Question:

• How do I reference the SDK's framework / API to extract close to real-time eye tracking data that prints either in a data.frame or CSV file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've given up (more or less) on getting this to work in UE4 so tried out the sample code for _C in the SDK and had a bit more success getting data.

I can now get gaze data from the sample project in some fashion but have to figure out now how to get dilation data which might mean I do a similar kind of thing to what @MariosBikos_HTC did here:

I'm not sure how to wrap my head around this function library code but am assuming this is a type of blueprint class reference in unreal that I can recycle for calculating the same information and providing it to me in a string format in C.

Not sure about this though since I'm not much a C programming language user but I will try to create a new header and call the function in the .cpp file such that it will  show up as a keyed option "7" to start the string and "8" to stop it. Doing so, I think I can just mirror the existing gaze data keys but again, I'm not really sure I know exactly what I'm doing so appreciate any guidance in this process.

I was able to get this to work now in UE4 and what it took was learning a bit about actors and blueprints.

To get gaze you can create a new actor and place it in the scene, then create a blueprint on that actor.

For getting gaze data I produced the following blueprint:

2020-10-09_10-17-20.thumb.png.4bc9ee47ec6f9add4495c190cbace18e.png

A key feature of this blueprint was the File IO Save String Arrray which I got from a function library plugin called "Victory Plugin" which you can get here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/pgrpsf9my7tv1ae/VictoryPlugin25.zip/file

Though this doesn't solve my pupil dilation problem, I can probably get that data via a functionb posted in a different forum:

I'll be trying that code next and creating a new actor and blueprint for that particular function.

The data I'm getting now looks like this:

2020-10-09_10-21-49.png.a14746ade550e0ffdf83d67d6306cf16.png

From the CSV file. I'd like to get this in a different format where things are columns rather than rows but I can probably work wiht this data and manipulate it to that effect in r or something I know better than C++ functions.

Anyway, that is the update on the extracting data from SRanipal for eye direction, fixation, and confidence value with a unix timestamp.

Would love to get a few thoughts on how to improve this blueprinting setup.

-CTE

47 minutes ago, cte said:

I was able to get this to work now in UE4 and what it took was learning a bit about actors and blueprints.

To get gaze you can create a new actor and place it in the scene, then create a blueprint on that actor.

For getting gaze data I produced the following blueprint:

2020-10-09_10-17-20.thumb.png.4bc9ee47ec6f9add4495c190cbace18e.png

A key feature of this blueprint was the File IO Save String Arrray which I got from a function library plugin called "Victory Plugin" which you can get here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/pgrpsf9my7tv1ae/VictoryPlugin25.zip/file

Though this doesn't solve my pupil dilation problem, I can probably get that data via a functionb posted in a different forum:

I'll be trying that code next and creating a new actor and blueprint for that particular function.

The data I'm getting now looks like this:

2020-10-09_10-21-49.png.a14746ade550e0ffdf83d67d6306cf16.png

From the CSV file. I'd like to get this in a different format where things are columns rather than rows but I can probably work wiht this data and manipulate it to that effect in r or something I know better than C++ functions.

Anyway, that is the update on the extracting data from SRanipal for eye direction, fixation, and confidence value with a unix timestamp.

Would love to get a few thoughts on how to improve this blueprinting setup.

-CTE

UPDATED Blueprint :: Found the Join String Array which Makes a significantly easier to work with CSV file. 

New Blueprint Structure:

2020-10-09_11-12-49.thumb.png.0f1124785bda9a19c9a35367f4c0daff.png

Leads to new output in csv file:

2020-10-09_11-13-38.png.d3888cf07089f03563cfe9a06a454ccc.png