Base Station internal fault 02

Cyberwaste

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely frustracted with the HTC support. The person on the chat completely dismissed the issue saying that my 1 year warranty is expired. Like many other users I am getting Code 2 internal error on one of my stations with the light on top blinking red. The two statins were installed at the same time under the same conditions. Only one stations showed this issue after the latest firmware update. So one - it's a known (seemingly widespread manufacutring defect) and two there was no way to know about it in that first one year of the warranty period becuase the previous firmware didn't have the diagnostic component. 

I requested a follow up from HTC and hope the company will do the right thing! Eric

Thank you for your post! I'll clarify a few things in regards to the base stations.
The "Fault 02/03" error is not a manufacturing defect. Like all devices with moving parts, wear and tear affects them. There are two small rotors with lasers inside each base station which are constantly spinning extremely quickly (60 times a second!) to provide the milimeter tracking that Vive does.

The firmware update that altered the failure detection threshold was released over a year ago through SteamVR and for a short period of time following that update, there was a mistaken belief going around that the fimware update had caused the error. This is not true. It merely detected a reduction in performance of a rotor which was causing a drop in tracking performance. 

Inevitably, any piece of technology will wear out and suffer performance degradation and eventually no longer function. HTC Vive, like many manufacturers, includes a warranty with many of our products which is spelled out in detail on our website (https://www.vive.com/us/warranty/ if you're curious.) for the purposes of offering peace of mind for users to provide an RMA path under the terms and conditions of the warranty agreement.

All of that being said, if you'd like to PM me your order number, I'd be happy to take a look and see what I can do for you regarding getting your base station fixed or replaced so you can get back to VR.

Thank you!
-John C

UPDATE: I must say the VIVE team went above and beyond to fix the issue for me! I had the best experience working on the solution with John, who was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and responsive, even through my system was already out of warranty and he didn't have to go through all that trouble.

I am very pleased by how the company handled the issue. I am definitely one happy customer!

• 2 weeks later...

My son got the HTC Vive in July through Dell.  Just the other day he noticed one of his base stations had a red flashing light, and he got the Fault 02 error.  He did the update and one still blinks red.  He was told it was dying and he needed to get a new one.  Are there other steps he can try before we do anything?  It seems really bad that a base station dies after only a few months time, but I'm not sure what to do and Dell has been no help.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived