Jump to content
 
fransan

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 + HTC vive = HDMI issue. Help

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, GuySoft said:

@fransan can you post the exact product you are using?  There a are quite a few types of displayport converters and I don't know what to pick.

 

As long as you get a PASSIVE cable you should be good. Don't use an ACTIVE cable as the cable does work to recode the signal for the other format. The g14 already can send DP from the type C so passive cables are what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HDMI and DP are very different signals. You will never be able to support a DP-driven headset via an HDMI port - even if it's HDMI 2.0.

Here are two USB-C -> DP adapters which are known to work with current gen headsets:

You can use the PhysX settings page to see a rough diagram of your port mapping. Not all USB-C ports are actually wired to the dedicated GPU and instead will only be wired to the integrated graphics as a cost savings measure for the laptop OEM. This page will give you a pretty solid approximation of your hard wiring but you may have to contact your OEM to confirm that your specific laptop model/buildout supports DP 1.2+ signaling via the dGPU on a specific USB-C port. It's ultra hyperspecific since there are a million different laptop variants. @fransan @GuySoft

 

@fransan - The cable you linked only supports 1080p. It won't work. "Support 1920x1080 full HD video output"

image.thumb.png.4c979bdba29d7dfe7dbe0c8a2dd133e8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 9:34 AM, fransan said:

Success I got mine working using this cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html


Also amazingly it works for me both on Windows and Linux Ubuntu 20.04 too!
On Linux I can plug a screen on HDMI, use the laptop screen and also use the USB-C for display port connector and use that for VR.


Note: I also got another cable that didn't work. There is a difference between the cable above and the thunderbolt 3.
THIS CABLE DID NOT WORK,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000165702367.html
And its not defective, I can plug my Samsung Galaxy S10e to it and see my phone's screen, so I guess its not useless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you found a cable! Thunderbolt is a proprietary Apple standard that can support Displayport, and many Displayport cables can support Thunderbolt, but for VR - you need a native DP cable. It's way confusing - hopefully future display technologies will be less confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

Glad you found a cable! Thunderbolt is a proprietary Apple standard that can support Displayport, and many Displayport cables can support Thunderbolt, but for VR - you need a native DP cable. It's way confusing - hopefully future display technologies will be less confusing.

I believe thunderbolt is an intel standard, not apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half of your product links here don't work.

How come if you can simply convert USB 3 into a display port signal, why doesn't Vive include this in the box of their $1,000 headset, which would cost them $3 to manufacture?

Do you really need to look at a spec sheet of your graphics card to see which ones are 'wired' to it?  Really?

I thought there was only one kind of 'VR Ready'.  Guess I was wrong, hey?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SuperTRev said:

Half of your product links here don't work.

How come if you can simply convert USB 3 into a display port signal, why doesn't Vive include this in the box of their $1,000 headset, which would cost them $3 to manufacture?

Do you really need to look at a spec sheet of your graphics card to see which ones are 'wired' to it?  Really?

I thought there was only one kind of 'VR Ready'.  Guess I was wrong, hey?

 

Several reasons
1. There are several kinds of cables, I had to order 2. One worked on my android chipsetsand another worked with my Asus ROG with AMD. HTC vive don't know what you have.  Putting a cable that only a small fraction would use is not cost-effective in a hightly competitive VR market. Think of that long sync cable you likely have and not using - you don't want to bundle all that. Also the cables have converters, its not a $3 cable, its about 3 $10 each on retail.

2. The USB-C to to display port connector standard came out on September 2014. That is 2 years before the vive came out and likely was coming out during the design of the vive. The could not anticipate if people would actually use it.

3. If I would complain it would be to Asus that 1. didn't document it well at all. 2. When I got Asus Zenbooks they came with the VGA adapters, this would be a similar cable missing. That and the camera, not sure what they were thinking with that.

But honestly, once you know this you get the cable and get on with life. I was on lockdown with the VR I could not use and no way to get cable, I feel your frustration.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ranted about this on a solo post, but before I went back into the store and spoke with the guy that actually built my computer.  Instead of the apprentice tech I got last time.

Turns out my computer has two display ports hidden behind permanent looking shields.  So I misspoke here, in every possible way.  My apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, SuperTRev said:

I ranted about this on a solo post, but before I went back into the store and spoke with the guy that actually built my computer.  Instead of the apprentice tech I got last time.

Turns out my computer has two display ports hidden behind permanent looking shields.  So I misspoke here, in every possible way.  My apologies.

The G14 has this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...