USB C DisplayPort

azlentic

I'm thinking about placing an order for the Vive Cosmos, and ran into a slight issue. I figured that my gaming laptop, a Dell G5 15 5590, would be able to support the Vive with the built in USB C Display Port and an adapter for DisplayPort to USB C.

Upon doing some more research, I found that my built in USB C DisplayPort was connected to the Intel Graphics, and not my GeForce GTX 1650. I was wondering if there was any way to change any sort of settings to get the port to connect to my GeForce GPU.

image.png.d601d851c05cb7a59b575fe713c329dd.png

Edited by azlentic
Added Screenshot
  • Like 1

@azlentic  Ya, that's a problem with most Dell and Alienware laptops.  The TB3 port is wired directly through the integrated intel gpu.  Very silly idea, probably to try to reduce battery drain.   Sorry but there is nothing you can do about this.  In any case a mobile gtx1650 gpu is not going to give you very good VR performance anyway imho.  I have used an OG Cosmos with my old Alienware 17r4 (at least it has a mini-DP) and with its gtx1060 6Gb gpu (+30% performance compared to your gtx1650) and the VR performance was pretty marginal.  Unfortunately, laptop gpu's do not perform as well as Desktop versions.

As far as the OG Cosmos goes, maybe a blessing in disguise, lol!  If you want good PCVR I suggest you save up and build/buy a proper desktop gaming PC.

• Like 1

@azlentic,

This is typically a hardwired issue that can't be circumnavigated unfortunately.  It adds a bunch of additional manufacturing costs for an OEM to wire their external ports to the dedicated GPU. Using the iGPU to drive these ports lets them use the same motherboard (and other parts) across a wider range of laptop models rather than needing unique parts and manufacturing processes for any specific model. In other words, it's a cost-reduction strategy OEMs use to deliver "budget" laptops to market.

I suspect you may be limited to HDMI driven headsets with this laptop (i.e. OG Vive, CV1). Before you throw in the towel though, I'd recommend contacting Dell and specifically asking if that port is wired to the dGPU and getting their official word. You'd want to provide specific model number as there are a number of  G5 15 5590 variants.

• Like 1