VR Headset usage time? is there a limit

Now this sounds dumb, but due to reasons I game from like let's say I wake up at 4Pm, game until like 7-10AM the next day,  sometimes a whole day if I want to, (Please don't question this) we all have issues... mines not because im addicted to gaming.. anyway..

I was wondering, is there a limit to how long you should use a headset? Would it damage the screens, burnout or something? should you it chance to cool down e.t.c? 

@SanityGaming - There's not enough scientific data on this to make definitive claims one way or another beyond to say that it has similar rest requirements as traditional gaming. We recommend taking a 15 minute break every 30-60 minutes of usage.

Current VR headsets only have a single focal plane. Because of this, I'd personally recommend taking off the headset and focusing on objects at various distances in the real-world when you take breaks.

The long term cognitive effects of VR remain to be seen - what's clear is that it generates far more neural activity than flat screen gaming.

One thing I can say with certainty is that you should mix up the types of movements you're preforming while in VR otherwise you're opening the door for repetitive motion injuries. For instance, if you're playing a bow and arrow game for hours and hours on end and doing the same unergonomic movement thousands upon thousands of times - you're probably going to hurt yourself. I know several VR artists who developed rotator cuff and wrist injuries from marathon art sessions in VR art apps. VR is full body - it helps to have a traditional exercise and weight training program if you're trying to do eSports competitively. 

19 hours ago, VibrantNebula said:

@SanityGaming - There's not enough scientific data on this to make definitive claims one way or another beyond to say that it has similar rest requirements as traditional gaming. We recommend taking a 15 minute break every 30-60 minutes of usage.

Current VR headsets only have a single focal plane. Because of this, I'd personally recommend taking off the headset and focusing on objects at various distances in the real-world when you take breaks.

The long term cognitive effects of VR remain to be seen - what's clear is that it generates far more neural activity than flat screen gaming.

One thing I can say with certainty is that you should mix up the types of movements you're preforming while in VR otherwise you're opening the door for repetitive motion injuries. For instance, if you're playing a bow and arrow game for hours and hours on end and doing the same unergonomic movement thousands upon thousands of times - you're probably going to hurt yourself. I know several VR artists who developed rotator cuff and wrist injuries from marathon art sessions in VR art apps. VR is full body - it helps to have a traditional exercise and weight training program if you're trying to do eSports competitively. 

So i take it the displays wont get damaged due to long usage e.t.c I know headsets can get damaged to external light like the (SUN) and (EXTREME BRIGHTNESS) luckily my curtains are always shut   And, thanks for the health concerns and warning concerns. I'll keep them noted,  especially if I ever get the headset if it ever comes to amazon at some point.. 

Edited by SanityGaming

• 5 months later...

Since writing my previous response, I've become a little more bullish about taking frequent breaks when using VR. I now strongly think that it's wise every hour or so, you should take the headset off and spend a few minutes focusing at objects in your environment at various distances. This is a play on the "20-20-20 rule." Current VR headsets only have one focal plane and focusing on that single plane for too long can definitely contribute to eye strain.