Frame rate dropped to nothing

Sillia

I bought the Vive Cosmos Elite last week and a brand new system to run it.  16 GB of ram, an I7, and GTX 2060 graphics.  This was able to run Beatsaber very smoothly and Half life Alyx tolerably well.

This morning I noticed that the frame rate is less than 1 FPS even in the home screen and my graphics card is at 100%.  I don't understand this sudden drop in performance.  restarting the PC had no effect.  I tried the reset headset and settings option and also saw no effect.

SteamVR-2020-07-08-PM_08_59_15.txt

On 7/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, Sillia said:

Trace number is 20200709051231

We've checked the logs, something would like you to check for me.

Can you follow below screenshots to check within Task manager to see if any app is consuming too much GPU resources than usual?
If so, kill the process if possible, or reinstall display driver is also an option. 

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks, 
1.png.525b89e1d4edaf24bdb5ee23cc86eab4.png2.png.d9a4ccf7fb5cefc5cd63d7ad656037a9.png

• Like 1

After much troubleshooting following instructions from Vive support I eventually did a factory restore of the computer which did not resolve the issue.  At that point they determined that the problem was either a hardware failure or a gtx 2060 just isn’t strong enough to handle vr.

Since this pc was less than 1 week old I returned it to Best Buy and purchased a new desktop with a gtx 2080 super.  This can run any vr game at max frame rates without the gpu utilization passing 50%

it is unclear if switching PCs solved the problem or if the 2080 is just so op that it does not let itself be slowed down by such issues as CT described above.

unfortunately since I no longer possess the original pc there is no way to know

Edited by Sillia
  • Like 1

A RTX2060 is strong enough for most VR experiences at the resolution of Cosmos. If you ever have a problem like this in the future - try checking your framerate on a standard flat game or a general benchmark tool which can show if your GPU is behaving incorrectly (e.x. Uniengine which is free).

VR is kind of like a differential in a car. A ton of different hardware. software, and drivers all need to sync up together perfectly like gears meshing to create the end-user experience. A full on Windows installation is basically the nuclear option and if that doesn't fix it - hardware is definitely where you'd want to shift your focus to. In any case, glad you're up and running. A 2080 will carry you longer into next-gen content.

Yes, the old gtx 2060 system got high ratings from the Steam vr performance test, the gpu benchmarked above 50 percentile for this component, and the system ran other demanding non vr games pretty well.

i was able to play half life alyx vr until the latest patch from Vive, then even the home screen was below 1 fps.

Dell support seemed certain it was an issue with the Vive software and Vive was telling me my brand new computer had a hardware failure.  I don’t know who was right, but returning the pc to the store and getting a better one was just easier than trying to get that answer

GTX 2060 should be able to run VR game nicely. Window OS is a complicated system, make sure you install everything with new driver, don't use those old driver in the included disc, go to Intel/AMD/Nvidia website to install the latest and motherboard stuff from ASROCK. 

You can play a non-VR pc game from steam to test it, if they work fine. Then the problems is in the VR driver, VR software, VR game itself....which is more headache.

Edited by lam0218

I also face the same problem with VIVE PRO EYE...
My development environment is 32 GB of ram, an i9, and RTX 2080 SUPER graphics.

In my case, a frame rate seems to get 60fps for first few seconds, however, then, it drops to 1 or lower fps. 

The purpose of a dual camera is SRWorks. Because of this problem, sample applications provided by a SRWorks plugin and a camera test provided by a steemvr app are not worked well.

Edited by toshi

13 hours ago, toshi said:

I also face the same problem with VIVE PRO EYE...
My development environment is 32 GB of ram, an i9, and RTX 2080 SUPER graphics.

In my case, a frame rate seems to get 60fps for first few seconds, however, then, it drops to 1 or lower fps. 

The purpose of a dual camera is SRWorks. Because of this problem, sample applications provided by a SRWorks plugin and a camera test provided by a steemvr app are not worked well.

Hi, in my environment, this problem is solved by changing a USB port which connects LinkBOX and PC. I had used one of Gen2 port and now i use one of Gen1 port, and a camera (and displaying) seems to work well.

Edited by toshi