Floor Tilt just won't go away and I feel like I've tried everything...

analogboy

I've had the Vive since June and over the last couple months the floor tilt issue seems to be getting worse. Usually a simple recalibration/power cycle fixes it, but it's been pretty persistent this last month or so. I don't know what else it could be other than a defective lighthouse(s) as I have tried EVERY suggested fix I could find. I've been trying to fix it for months.

My lighthouses are 6 and a half feet off the ground screwed into the wall.I even built a new computer and the problem still remains. Finally today I moved the lighthouses just to see if that was the issue...if anything that made it worse so I moved them back. Has anyone had this problem and ended up having to RMA a lighthouse? How could you tell it was faulty?

Hey there,  - first things first. What exactly do you mean by 'floor tilt'? It sounds like you're having calibration problems, but can you explain more about what you're seeing?

If it's tracking / calibration issue it's also helpful to let us know a bit about your room setup - for example whether you have semi-reflective floors (tiles, linoleum, that sort of thing) or perhaps reflective surfaces on the wall.

If your lighthouses/base stations are screwed into the wall, that's obviously a good start. Even small vibrations in a wall can cause tracking issues at times though.

Lighthouses can fail, but it's pretty rare. Here's the SteamVR details on how to check them out:

Check positioning and sync:
Your base stations should be above head height (at least 6.5 feet), angled down 30-45 degrees, and no further than 5 meters (16 feet) apart.

• Check SteamVR to see if your base stations need a firmware update
  • Make sure your base stations have an unobstructed view of each other
  • Push the mode buttons on the back of the base stations so that one base station shows "b" and one base station shows "c"
  • The base station lights should be solid green

Check functionality:
Try tracking with a single base station. Power on either base station and switch it to "A" mode using the button on the back, then test HMD tracking while facing the base station. If this works, test the other base station the same way.

**If one or both of the base stations fail to track in "A" mode, examine the red LEDs on the face of the failing base station while powered on through the lense of a camera phone (you can see the lasers best this way). You should see 17 red dots (15 in a honey comb formation in the middle, and 2 on adjacent sides). The 2 red dots on adjacent sides are lasers -- they are critical for tracking. If one is missing, that laser is broken and the base station can only be fixed by replacement via HTC.

(Last para emphasis is mine! If you find that issue, contact Customer Care via the link in my sig.)

• 1 month later...

How did you get on in the end analog boy? Im having exactly the same issues. By chance I tried with one basestation accidentally powered off and my room levels were 100% perfect, first time ever! The post suggesting to try the other one is a good idea.

Mine are mounted from the ceiling so that they are hanging down from it on the supplied mounts. I also tried them on light stands as a direct opposite configuration with exactly same problem. Power cycling the one base station and hiding it with cardboard during Steam VT boot up works most of the time now. I do tend to leave the base stations on 24/7. Perhaps that may have something to do with it.

Archived