Can i get the gaze data using VIVE eye(or something else)?

BlueLee

Hello, I have questions before i buy VIVE eye.

For my research, I should get data below, but i am wondering if i can.

1. Number of blinking

2. To get the gaze velocity, i need gaze position data.

3. To calculate the video's velocity(to compare with gaze velocity), i need video(or frames) to be decoded.

Thank you.

Hello @BlueLee,

1. Number of blinking
VIVE Eye Tracking SDK can easily measure blinking with the "eye_openness" function.

Gaze position data is available via the "gaze_direction_normalized" function.

3. To calculate the video's velocity(to compare with gaze velocity), i need video(or frames) to be decoded.
Can you elaborate on the information you require?

Please feel free to download the Eye Tracking SDK (SRanipal) and review the documentation for further information.

https://developer.vive.com/resources/knowledgebase/vive-sranipal-sdk/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corvus said:

Hello @BlueLee,

1. Number of blinking
VIVE Eye Tracking SDK can easily measure blinking with the "eye_openness" function.

Gaze position data is available via the "gaze_direction_normalized" function.

Can you elaborate on the information you require?

Please feel free to download the Eye Tracking SDK (SRanipal) and review the documentation for further information.

https://developer.vive.com/resources/knowledgebase/vive-sranipal-sdk/

3. Can I get the video that i am looking at? I mean the video with the fixation point something like below.

image.png.96c03f34d7e916f60b582ef0f5398762.png

4. Additionally, can i get the eye video?

Thank you for your answer.

3. Yes, it is possible to show the fixation point on the PC monitor and record it. Recording functionality is not built into the SDK but can be implemented within engine or via 3rd party tools.

4. No, access to the raw eye camera video is not enabled.

11 hours ago, Corvus said:

3. Yes, it is possible to show the fixation point on the PC monitor and record it. Recording functionality is not built into the SDK but can be implemented within engine or via 3rd party tools.

4. No, access to the raw eye camera video is not enabled.

For the question 4, then what is the format of eye blinking data? For example, do i get the opened or closed data(binary data) or the percentage of closed eye(ex_ if half is closed, then 0.5)?

Thank you.

@BlueLee Please download the SDK and documentation to get a better understanding of the available data. To be clear, for #4 I am referring to the raw video of the users eyes. For eye_openness you get a float value between 0 (closed) and 1 (open).

Thank you. Now I am searching how the eye_openness is calculated in SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1.. I find many functions but cannot find what i am looking for. Which file should i check?

I am wondering if openness is calculated by pupil_diameter or the position of eyelid. thank you. 

@BlueLee There is html documentation in the SDK. The location depends on what engine you are using. For example, if you're using Unity, you can open the "Document_Unity" link. There are two methods of getting eye openness and you can find there details here:

GetEyeOpenness() Function

/SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1/02_Unity/Document/Eye/html/class_vive_s_r_1_1anipal_1_1_eye_1_1_s_ranipal___eye.html#a4be08e3c161f0d1dd95f7b399be1acb3

SingleEyeData eye_openness Attribute

/SRanipal_SDK_1.1.0.1/02_Unity/Document/Eye/html/struct_vive_s_r_1_1anipal_1_1_eye_1_1_single_eye_data.html#a10f9ab57750b7066a544684c3de0d4a9

GetEyeOpenness() Example

float leftOpen;
ViveSR.anipal.Eye.SRanipal_Eye.GetEyeOpenness(ViveSR.anipal.Eye.EyeIndex.LEFT, out leftOpen);