How to test HTC Vive Headset without Steam/SteamVR

jazfree

Just recently, my headset doesn't work. On Thursday, 4. Jun, everything worked fine. Then on Friday 5. Jun, I spent hours trying to get the headset to work.

The headset is connected to a pc (Ryzen 1900x, 128GB RAM, 16 Cores). I have tried everything: uninstall Steam, reset headset, rebooted pc serveral times with the same results.

The green led is on, as soon as I start SteamVR the light turns red. I have even tried connecting the headset to another compatible computer with the same results.

I would like to be able to test the headset to eliminate any hardware problems.

Question, why didn't HTC develop it's own software for the Vive?

Regards,

jazfree

Edited by jazfree

@jazfree - Our desktop Vive products are SteamVR/OpenVR headsets. There is no way to use these headsets without SteamVR. If the headset doesn't work on a second PC, that's a good indication that it's a problem with the HMD, assuming the second PC is VR-compatible. The result is invalid if the other PC isn't VR compatible.

If it's a first gen-Vive, I generally recommend trying a "linkbox bypass" as a first step. Basically you take the orange HDMI leads from the headset's 3-in-1 and instead of plugging them into the linkbox, you plug them in directly to the GPU/motherboard while keeping the power plug connected to the linkbox. This solves alot of issues.

I also recommend sliding back the cable cover on the top of the HMD and unplugging and reseating all  of the cables to ensure they're plugged in properly.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up sending the HMD in for repairs 199€. Finally got the HMD back (mainboard replaced).

Plugged everything in and the system worked for 5 minutes. Then the HMD disconnected from SteamVR. I restart SteamVR, and now the HMD is showing just a green display. So, I tried the HMD on a VR ready laptop. It worked fine. Now before you say my graphics card is broken, which it is not, I've plugged my monitor in the HDMI Port without any problems.

I have gone through this community and tried every suggestion and I still only seen a green display (see attachment). I've even ran the SteamVR Performance Test and my system is well above the requirements.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:08 PM, jazfree said:

Now before you say my graphics card is broken, which it is not, I've plugged my monitor in the HDMI Port without any problems.

I have gone through this community and tried every suggestion and I still only seen a green display (see attachment). I've even ran the SteamVR Performance Test and my system is well above the requirements.

First of, you are obviously new to computers, only because a monitor works, doesn't mean the graphics card isn't dead... a VR HEADSET is more demanding than a usual monitor.. it's like artifacting, one game can get artifacts the other wont... a brand new 2080ti off the line can have artifacting... your monitor working doesn't mean CRUD.. so don't act like it means anything, that's really arrogant.. 

Also 199 euro? could have saved tons if you claimed the repair on the house insurance...  And if the device is still under warranty and I'm guessing it's not because you paid, it would of been a free repair by htc, so you've done SOMETHING... I had to spend money on 2 new 16TB HDD's because of my the cables, I didn't blame the HDD's I blamed myself and the cables.. 

Anyway, I'd suggest trying the headset in a different PC.. if it works in another, then it's your device, until then please don't blame the headset straight out.. you've made no claims to having tried it in another computer! Because it sounds like a graphics card input error, have you changed the bios on the GPU, have you updated the BIOS on the GPU, sometimes people do that when they shouldn't..

Edited by SanityGaming

@SanityGaming,

Thank for thinking that I am new to computers. 

And you are wrong about the graphic card. If the port on the graphic card is not working, then it won't work for anything else: Diagnostic tests was ran and the Graphic card did not have any problems.

If you had read what was written, you would see that the HDM was tried on a VR ready laptop without any problems.

You see, I am not a smart Gamer but I do know how to troubleshoot problems with PCs and programs. And when a device works once connected and stops working then it is either a hardware problem and a problem with the software. Since SteamVR also includes drivers for the different headsets, out of process of elimination it was determined that the problem started when SteamVR updated.

I thought this forum was for Users to help Users, instead of assuming that they have no knowledge of computers or assuming that they are arrogant.

By the way, next time read and understand the problem before making assumptions and there is no need to respond!