I want to return my cosmos. Here's why...

HTC vive is very unresponsive, but so far ever since I got the thing, the tracking does NOT work, I can stand in a clear lit room in the midddle and everything in VR will be spinning. I reinstalled everything multiple times. I have had the thing for months and it has been constant troubleshooting, and  the fixes only seem to work for the current session. One day later, tracking willl be a total joke again, and I have to repeat the process.

Now I'm wondering, it's my first VR experience, but is it with others this bad? I see a lot of people mad about this "experimental product" and I too sort of feel scammed out of 700 $. I'm considering returning it and getting another from Valve... This thing is un-usable 0_o

I am running 16 gb ram, gtx1070super with raytracing, etc basically this PC can run it fine. But the cameras inside the cosmos seem so BAD :/ It's a VR headset, that can not track a clear lit square room with basic objects. If I look away from the floor, I get "not enough visual detail".

The app or the controllers will simply float off, not being tracked.
I am done, I am tired of going through error codes. Stopping and restarting services, and taking all these steps when it seems to me, it's just inherent in this product?
Anyway, it was great, the few hours it worked, but I'm getting more misery out of it then joy so I will see if I can get a refund...

So frustrated

Some things that helped us get it to a usable point:

1. Changed our lighting to "warm lights" (2700K LEDs) - the controllers emit a white light so it can apparently blend with your lighting situation if your lights are also white.
  2. Hung some art and paintings on the wall.
  3. Used painters tape to add tracking points to blank spots on the wall.
  4. Added additional lights.

After that, we went into the Settings > Troubleshooting and reset the environment and proceeded to do the Room Setup again. After this, we were able to play some Beat Saber, Blade & Sorcery, Half Life: Alyx with some caveats:

• Cannot take cover in HL:A that involves crouching
  • Parts in HL:A that involved crouching, I would have to squat and ensure that I look up with my head. I was using continuous locomotion. Not sure how I would have teleported with this method though.
  • The odd time me trying to put something over my shoulder in HL:A to put it in my inventory would result in losing tracking and the item would get lobbed away. This was pretty rare.
  • In Beat Saber, difficulties Easy through Hard were mostly okay. Into Expert, notes start being on the far sides of the screen and trying to hit these at the same time would often result in one controller losing tracking and missing the note. Most Expert+ songs are nearly impossible because of the tracking loss.
  • In Blade & Sorcery, all your attacking must be standing–crouching often results in a tracking loss. Get used to using the telepathy to pull weapons to you. Picking weapons off the ground results in a tracking loss. 

I also attempted to play Boneworks but could only make it about an hour in with this headset. There's a part in the game that involves you lifting and placing a giant yellow plank that is roughly the width of the headset FOV which results in at least one of your controllers being out of sight of the headset cameras so... it's just not possible. I tried for about 30 minutes to pass this part but I would constantly lose tracking while trying to place the plank and just gave up. I downloaded a save file for the game so I could at least mess around in the sandbox, however, a lot of the climbing in the game involves you placing your arms above your head which again results in a loss of tracking.

There are times where the headset is fine but with a lot of games you have to learn to work around the tracking and it can be frustrating. Apparently racing sims are great and I'm sure some third person/omnipresent RPG games would be awesome too. The resolution and sound on the headset are fantastic and it's immersive but with the tracking, it's hard to recommend anything first person unless you're prepared to do some weird fixes and be disappointed/frustrated at times.

Edited by LMulvey

4 hours ago, LMulvey said:

Some things that helped us get it to a usable point:

1. Changed our lighting to "warm lights" (2700K LEDs) - the controllers emit a white light so it can apparently blend with your lighting situation if your lights are also white.
  2. Hung some art and paintings on the wall.
  3. Used painters tape to add tracking points to blank spots on the wall.
  4. Added additional lights.

After that, we went into the Settings > Troubleshooting and reset the environment and proceeded to do the Room Setup again. After this, we were able to play some Beat Saber, Blade & Sorcery, Half Life: Alyx with some caveats:

• Cannot take cover in HL:A that involves crouching
  • Parts in HL:A that involved crouching, I would have to squat and ensure that I look up with my head. I was using continuous locomotion. Not sure how I would have teleported with this method though.
  • The odd time me trying to put something over my shoulder in HL:A to put it in my inventory would result in losing tracking and the item would get lobbed away. This was pretty rare.
  • In Beat Saber, difficulties Easy through Hard were mostly okay. Into Expert, notes start being on the far sides of the screen and trying to hit these at the same time would often result in one controller losing tracking and missing the note. Most Expert+ songs are nearly impossible because of the tracking loss.
  • In Blade & Sorcery, all your attacking must be standing–crouching often results in a tracking loss. Get used to using the telepathy to pull weapons to you. Picking weapons off the ground results in a tracking loss. 

I also attempted to play Boneworks but could only make it about an hour in with this headset. There's a part in the game that involves you lifting and placing a giant yellow plank that is roughly the width of the headset FOV which results in at least one of your controllers being out of sight of the headset cameras so... it's just not possible. I tried for about 30 minutes to pass this part but I would constantly lose tracking while trying to place the plank and just gave up. I downloaded a save file for the game so I could at least mess around in the sandbox, however, a lot of the climbing in the game involves you placing your arms above your head which again results in a loss of tracking.

There are times where the headset is fine but with a lot of games you have to learn to work around the tracking and it can be frustrating. Apparently racing sims are great and I'm sure some third person/omnipresent RPG games would be awesome too. The resolution and sound on the headset are fantastic and it's immersive but with the tracking, it's hard to recommend anything first person unless you're prepared to do some weird fixes and be disappointed/frustrated at times.

My god! 😝 I had the exact same issue at that part in boneworks, when going to the other side trying to go for the climbing part instead of the plank one. It was not possible by either one. Tracking just glitches out if you get your controllers too close to the headset and end up falling down... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckDrvien07 said:

My god! 😝 I had the exact same issue at that part in boneworks, when going to the other side trying to go for the climbing part instead of the plank one. It was not possible by either one. Tracking just glitches out if you get your controllers too close to the headset and end up falling down... 

Yeah! Based on reviews, it's a frustrating part to begin with but with the tracking failure, it's just not possible, which is too bad. Boneworks is a blast (if a bit of an acquired taste). I can't wait to try it on an externally tracked headset.