OSX Gaming in VR?

Karatekidlet

My Household is not one of powerful gaming PCs, but apple computers that I want so badly to be able to run VR for when I purchase the headset (which I will hopefully be able to do soon). After reading the article about the new steam vr controllers (thanks to ), I learned that Valve is working on bringing Vive to Apple. Is this really true? If so, when will this option go into affect? I'm very eager!

Best of Luck,

-Karatekidlet

I'm guessing Apple hardware is currently holding it back. VR requires some graphical horsepower and even the most expensive Mac Pros are delivering just a fraction of what is required for VR. Reprojection and other techniques make it possible to run VR on less capable hardware and could have opened the possibility for VR on Mac

Having used Apple practically from their infancy, they do SOME things right, and lately they can't do a single thing right. Gaming they've never done, ever. If you truly want to get into real gaming, or VR, then I would advise building a custom rig. You can build a sweet system and get a vive on top of that cheaper than a new macbook pro with "applecare", and it will mop the floor with that Apple piece of junk. The Macbook will probably overheat and fry the soldered on storage and/or logic board within 3 years while the custom PC will scream for more hardware to be added to it.

Vulcan brings performance a bit closer to the bare metal but that's just were the problem is. Mac hardware just won't cut it. Both Imacs and Macbook Pro's run quite standard laptop components. 

Indeed your best bet would be to build a cheaper VR machine running a GTX 1060, or if you have the money ... build a mean gaming machine ;)

A powerfull Hackintosh could allow you to dual boot to OSX and help with the transition a bit.

After a deep search on computer parts (I already know how to build), I found these...

Processor: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7 GHz Quad-core

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170MMicroATX LGA1151

Memory: HyperX Fury Black2 x 4GB DDR4-2133$32

Graphics: AMD RX 480Full review

SSD: Corsair Force LE240GB

PSU: EVGA 430W

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000MicroATX Mid Tower

But before I spend that kind of money, I wanted a second opinion on the tech. Will it make for a long lasting build? Is it really VR ready? And for a person looking to get himself a Vive as well, could I make it any cheaper, or should I just buy the HP Envy 750 for $600 and forget the hassle of building?

Much Thanks,

-Karatekidlet

So, it will work, right. Comparitively this is what I just built:

Processor: i7-6800K 3.4

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming

Memory: Corsair Vengence LED 16GB 2x8 DDR4 3200

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG Strix OC

M2: Samsung Pro 950 256GB PCIe

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Gold 750W

Upgrade-wise I would say it may be tough with the micro atx (this is without looking at all the parts) and your PSU may be undersized if you up your GPU ever etc. Depends what you're loooking for and looking to spend etc. If you're looking for low-end entry level just want it to work VR. There are/were some pretty affordable bundles with Vive as well at a reasonable price that may compare to these specs that you could compare prices to. They had one with HP which I don't see any longer for like $1499.

Archived