(Cosmos Elite) Barrel Distortion/Accelerometer Jitter Using Wireless

Not gonna lie it's funny how every manufacturer are developing Vive Deluxe audio strap clones and HTC decided to go in a different direction that hurts the performance of the device significantly that forehead pad thing is god awful why is it so thick.

Nothing is more comfortable than OG vive with Deluxe audio strap + wireless adapter the weight distribution was perfect! I could play with all the weight on the back of my head and the headset would be barely touching my face. Having new features like being able to lift up the headset is nice but not when it compromises on the product and it compromised on it significantly!

Edited by demonslayer
  • Like 1

It's unusual that they'd ditch the design, especially considering that the Valve Index took on the same form factor & received mass praise regarding it's superior comfort.

I agree with the notion that the pro strap paired with the wireless attachment has an excellent balancing effect. I took it a step further and created a battery mount that tightly connected to the lower back of the pro strap. I mean, it's a slight death wish having a battery that close to the base of your skull I suppose, but my God was the balance absolutely perfect.

I also neatly tucked away all of the cables, which felt incredibly liberating in games that required fast movement—nothing dangling.

The Cosmos Elite looked like it should have been even more comfortable, but it just feels... awkward. 

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, Beat Saber felt impossible due to the sensitivity of the headset mixed with the slightly too loose halo design (even at max tightness). The combination caused the screen to jitter uncomfortably, eventually leading to nausea.

36 minutes ago, nickakathatguy said:

It's unusual that they'd ditch the design, especially considering that the Valve Index took on the same form factor & received mass praise regarding it's superior comfort.

I agree with the notion that the pro strap paired with the wireless attachment has an excellent balancing effect. I took it a step further and created a battery mount that tightly connected to the lower back of the pro strap. I mean, it's a slight death wish having a battery that close to the base of your skull I suppose, but my God was the balance absolutely perfect.

I also neatly tucked away all of the cables, which felt incredibly liberating in games that required fast movement—nothing dangling.

The Cosmos Elite looked like it should have been even more comfortable, but it just feels... awkward. 

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, Beat Saber felt impossible due to the sensitivity of the headset mixed with the slightly too loose halo design (even at max tightness). The combination caused the screen to jitter uncomfortably, eventually leading to nausea.

Yes! I had this issue as well, My VR Cover mod fixed it, But should I even have to do this? The stock configuration is just unacceptable it feels like you are looking through 2 paper rolls. The FOV shouldn't be worse than your first product.

I sound like a broken record, but you really shouldn't have to immediately mod such an expensive headset.

It's unacceptable.

HTC needs to address their faulty hardware before this gets too out of hand for them.

I'm packing it up to return at the moment.

The nail in the coffin for me happened just a moment ago. I decided to give it another try, but I realized that my moderately large head wouldn't allow the headphones to click into place no matter where I positioned them (I physically adjusted them many times ).

They had clicked down before if I applied a ton of pressure, but I guess the mechanism didn't like being forced repeatedly.

I'm 6' 2" which is tall, but it's not an unusual size... I'm also skinny as a rail.

Well, it was fun to try it out I guess!

Now I'll just wait for Valve to announce wireless support for the Index before I upgrade.

THANKS HTC!!!

Yeah, I've considered getting the Pro, but I'm a little concerned with HTC hardware at the moment.

I mean, the resolution is roughly the same, it has OLED panels, and has an overall better form factor.

The only concern I have with the Vive Pro is with the headphones... and cost.

$549 is almost too expensive for just a headset (Cosmos Elite), so I'm having a hard time with paying almost $800 for a mild upgrade (Vive Pro).

Hopefully HTC realizes that their currant platform isn't sustainable in the long game. I'd really like to see them lower their prices, as well as address & fix their hardware/software issues without penalizing the consumer with costly upgrades that should have been included at launch.

That being said, I really love the original Vive with the pro strap, & wireless adapter. It's almost perfect, other than the obviously outdated resolution.

It's strange I suppose... maybe it's due to Covid-19 & low sales? 

But either way I'm pretty content with my original Vive setup.

I played Half-life: Alyx all night with excellent uninterrupted wireless performance, & overall higher reliability than the Elite. 

Another thing I missed was the OLED... It makes a HUGE difference. I could see the Pro being valuable in that regard.

I just wanted to let any HTC representative that might have possibly stumbled across my post that I've gone ahead and returned the Cosmos Elite with no intention of trying again.

I've been using the original Vive since 2016 as many others, but if you don't take the communities feedback seriously, I'm sure there will be a mass migration very soon.