Jump to content

My eye tracker is stuck at a callibration step


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DustProductions said:

Ok, I MAY have figured out a root cause in my case.  It seems to be related to having too many USB devices active.  I noticed this error when I had my headset half on and half off while debugging just now.  My guess is that the eye tracker was not able to initialize because the usb controller couldn't be loaded or something like that.  The HMD was otherwise was working fine, but maybe the eye tracker was right at the threshold for me.  I'm not sure HOW I managed to max it out, as I don't have 127 things plugged in to my machine, but I did a restart and unplugged a few phones and things, and it worked first try.

So, to prevent my particular issue, you might want to make sure you don't have too many USB devices plugged in to your machine.  🤦‍♂️

Like a girlfriend, she was angry with you😓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DustProductions Thanks for your feedback, sounds really strange with the reinstalling behaviour you described 🤔 - I haven't seen any of that.
I managed to get it going in Unity with gross eye-tracking, but without a proper calibration, the tracking is relatively imprecise and a bit unstable.
Thanks @Corvus do you have a guesstimate on when? - it would be nice to be able to update my client on ETA of their setup (they were expecting it today actually).
To me it doesn't seem to be a problem with drivers? 7invensun posted a SW bundle, and it works with unity, though I had to remove some checks to get the SDK code running. (It was checking whether the headset was a Vive Pro Eye, which I guess is just because the code hasn't been updated for the Droolon).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DustProductions Can you please send me the logs? Those really are our best bet at this point.

We haven't heard of USB-bandwidth being an issue at this point but USB isn't really universal when you dig down into it. At a high level, there are two kinds of USB controllers xHCI and OEM proprietary ones. The xHCI ones are usually decoded by the CPU - the OEM proprietary ones (i.e. Asusmedia on Asus boards) are a total nightmare when it comes to VR devices and we've seen issues with these going all the way back to the launch of the first Vive in 2016. In most cases, you can look up your motherboard's documentation and figure out which ports are controlled by which controller and always opt for the xHCI on your high performance devices. Inateck cards have long been the most reliable USB cards for SteamVR devices and have solved thousands of people's motherboard compatibility issues. That said, that's been entirely for base-support of the HMD and not for eye-tracking. The Tobii devices probably have a completely different set of USB-constraints completely independent from watchman devices.

We've already processed logs in the last week from a few folk in this thread - one common issue we've found is that if you have drivers for other Tobii devices on your device - it may cause a conflict.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VibrantNebula said:

@DustProductions Can you please send me the logs? Those really are our best bet at this point.

We haven't heard of USB-bandwidth being an issue at this point but USB isn't really universal when you dig down into it. At a high level, there are two kinds of USB controllers xHCI and OEM proprietary ones. The xHCI ones are usually decoded by the CPU - the OEM proprietary ones (i.e. Asusmedia on Asus boards) are a total nightmare when it comes to VR devices and we've seen issues with these going all the way back to the launch of the first Vive in 2016. In most cases, you can look up your motherboard's documentation and figure out which ports are controlled by which controller and always opt for the xHCI on your high performance devices. Inateck cards have long been the most reliable USB cards for SteamVR devices and have solved thousands of people's motherboard compatibility issues. That said, that's been entirely for base-support of the HMD and not for eye-tracking. The Tobii devices probably have a completely different set of USB-constraints completely independent from watchman devices.

We've already processed logs in the last week from a few folk in this thread - one common issue we've found is that if you have drivers for other Tobii devices on your device - it may cause a conflict.

Sent you the logs.  I checked my motherboard user manual, and don't see anything about whether it's xHCI or not (https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition#down-manual).  It might be worth noting that I'm plugged in to a USB on the front of my case, so the motherboard USBs probably aren't relevant anyway.  Not a whole lot of really technical information available about the case USBs either.  For what it's worth, I'm plugged in to a USB 3.0 port on the case.  The case is an AeroCool-800.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DustProductions said:

Sent you the logs.  I checked my motherboard user manual, and don't see anything about whether it's xHCI or not (https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition#down-manual).  It might be worth noting that I'm plugged in to a USB on the front of my case, so the motherboard USBs probably aren't relevant anyway.  Not a whole lot of really technical information available about the case USBs either.  For what it's worth, I'm plugged in to a USB 3.0 port on the case.  The case is an AeroCool-800.

On that motherboard, it depends on if those front expansion ports are connected to JUSB1/2 or JUSB3. You'd probably only want to use them if they're on JUSB3. That said, plugging into the motherboard headers is always better than using an expansion connector on high-performance applications because there's simply less copper the signal has to travel through (and potentially be attenuated by EMI). It's a little vague but it seems like they're all using Intel's controller as far as I can tell.

image.thumb.png.3d1773304d97702af758649b81c02b76.pngYou'd probably want to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

On that motherboard, it depends on if those front expansion ports are connected to JUSB1/2 or JUSB3. You'd probably only want to use them if they're on JUSB3. That said, plugging into the motherboard headers is always better than using an expansion connector on high-performance applications because there's simply less copper the signal has to travel through (and potentially be attenuated by EMI). It's a little vague but it seems like they're all using Intel's controller as far as I can tell.

Makes sense.  It's plugged in to the USB3 and the Vive device is also plugged into a 3.0 port.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...