Vive asking me to take a leap of faith...

This technology is very expensive. I already have spent way too much on my PC computer components & PC gaming addiction over the years.

I'm possibly going to get into sim car racing on the PC. I have an extremely fast PC and a 34" ultra-wide, 21x9, high-end monitor. The sim car racing components I need/want will cost @ $1500. (wheel, pedals, etc) I'm considering this technology, yet have no way of experiencing what it will be like.

How do we solve this?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a long-time PC gamer, yes hardcore one going thru many SLI setups but not presently, and I just dived into VR for less than a month. I don't play racing games on my Vive Pro but I have learnt to appreciate what VR has to offer and accept what it could not. The first thing I would say is since you're already heavily invested in a high-end gaming PC and equally high-end racing gear, I don't see how adding a high-end VR setup would be any issue. I have an i9-9900K/2080Ti/34" 21:9 monitor gaming rig and a VivePro with the wireless adapter. What takes getting used to coming from a hardcore PC gamer's perspective? You'll see pixels. I don't fault the 2880x1600 resolution VR screens, I accept that such small screens just mere inches away from my eye is going to let you see pixels but it's in no way unacceptable, just have to get used to it. Controllers - instead of keyboard/mouse you get 2x motion controlled 'wands', in some cases much more intuitive and immersive (if you play other games besides racing simulations).  Tethered VR - takes getting used to but I got the wireless adapter to remove that barrier.  Turn your head instead of glancing left & right, you'll get used to it and it may be more immersive too. Telescope vision - you'll get used to focusing on the centre of the screen so you won't notice it over time. I would think it would be a real blast racing in VR although I don't do so myself. 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:01 PM, 5-Card-Major said:

This technology is very expensive. I already have spent way too much on my PC computer components & PC gaming addiction over the years.

I'm possibly going to get into sim car racing on the PC. I have an extremely fast PC and a 34" ultra-wide, 21x9, high-end monitor. The sim car racing components I need/want will cost @ $1500. (wheel, pedals, etc) I'm considering this technology, yet have no way of experiencing what it will be like.

How do we solve this?

Nothing you've said, says "Extremely fast pc" and the fact you mentioned a monitor of that size, shows it.. My motorized racing, force feedback, racing setup probably costs more. And the fact a price like a VIVE setup is an issues also shows this, or you'd be at INDEX or OCULUS, or PIMAX.  The price for a VIVE is 100% reasonable. 

Anyway. https://www.vive.com/uk/try-vive/

That's the UK version, depending on your location just google "Try Vive", will point you to your nearest shop that actually has one.  If you are in the UK you could contact game.co.uk, and ask where the nearest game is with a VIVE SETUP, but stores are shut.

And if you're american, contact whatever if any "Game stops" I believe your game shops are, or target, or walmart and find out the nearest shop is with a setup try VR headset

If you have a youtube channel with a few thousand subs, you maybe able to be sent a REVIEW kit, but you'll have to publish a review, prove you can make a competent one by sending in a past properly doen review video!

Edited by SanityGaming
  • Thanks 1