Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.12.2

C.T.

1 hour ago, Fresh_Zin said:

I also believe that the product is defective and will never have a 10/10 tracking score. Which is a shame, but I hope they improve to an 8/10 point
However, I believe that as they have improved a lot since launch, I think it can improve even more, they just need to focus on that problem.
However, taking a month for an update and having nothing to track is difficult to improve.
As I said before, the biggest problem (besides sniper mode) is tracking too close to the headset, far above and far below.
My impression is that when the headset completely loses the control light, it is completely lost, which explains many of the tracking problems.
High above = see only the bottom of the control
Far below = (hands down) = see also only the bottom of the control
Too close to the headset = he sees only one light and does not understand that it is the control.
Sniper mode = the rear control overlaps the front light and loses it.

So if there's anything really bad about the cosmos headset, it's the control and the way it was designed for the cameras to identify where they are. It would also explain why they returned to the elite cosmos for standard control.

If they go back and study the best way to get the headset to track the controller lighting, I believe they can improve tracking even further.
Well, I still believe in the valve (even very discouraged), but please take the time to improve tracking.
And try to release updates more quickly mainly focused on tracking, even with little improvement release the update so we can give feedback

I always said if it is Apple product, Apple would haven been issued worldwide recall on it. 

Or if it is Bose, they should have been issued worldwide recall on it and they did it as Sleepbud fail to meet its feature. 

Also, I am curious that my rifts s controller doesn't have any control light on the controller,  but why they can track so perfect ????

Edited by lam0218

11 hours ago, Fresh_Zin said:

Thanks for this update, but I have a few points I would like to mention. First of all (I will talk again even though it looks boring) the updates are taking a long time to come out, this version took more than 1 month, and for the delay I would have liked to see an improvement in tracking, where everyone knows it is horrible, and that already make 8 MONTHS. I don't want to look boring but I'm talking as a consumer, can you focus on improving tracking? 8 MONTHS and it is still problematic, in that time there was some improvement but far from perfect. It is starting to look like you are not wanting to say that the product is defective and there is no way to improve more than that, because within these 8 months you have already had some updates and even a new headset. And the problem continues. Sorry the outburst is that it is really frustrating you buy a product that came with a problem and in 8 months it will not be solved, mainly coming from a company like valve.

Valve is a big company and HTC VR is not related to Valve. Valve has their own VR headset. Years ago, they were teammate, it is old story.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AlexZemtsov said:

After the update, performance in VR games has fallen dramatically.  Strong friezes are periodically observed.

PC:

CPU - Core i5-9400f

GPU - GTX 1070 Ti

Memory - 16 Gb

Yep.  Confirmed.  Same results for me.  Game performance took a HUGE hit since the last update.  This is for tracking and visuals performance.  Freezing / System Lag.  Why?  

Applications/games tested:

Onward, HL:A, In Death, Sports Bar, and the all tanked in performance in a major way.  

Gigabyte Aero 15X, i7 8750H, 2tb + 1tb M.2 NVMe SSD, Aorus eGPU 2080ti Water Cooled Gaming Box. 

9 hours ago, lam0218 said:

I always said if it is Apple product, Apple would haven been issued worldwide recall on it. 

Or if it is Bose, they should have been issued worldwide recall on it and they did it as Sleepbud fail to meet its feature. 

Also, I am curious that my rifts s controller doesn't have any control light on the controller,  but why they can track so perfect ????

I believe that the rift should use some type of sensor in the control for tracking, where perhaps the cameras try to check the location of the sensor and thus define where the control is.
If you put sensors in different positions (and in different places) on each control, even if one protrudes over the other (sniper mode), he would still be able to identify where each control is.
Htc cosmos opted for a more beautiful designer (in my opinion) but nothing functional. So much so if you put your hand in front of the light on the control it is totally lost.
So I really believe that the problem is control. And as the camera must have been designed to identify the control light, the product becomes defective and will never be perfect, especially in the sniper mode where the rear control (the one closest to you) will always cover the front light.
The only thing they can try to do is work on how the cameras identify the control light so that it tries to make it more precise, but I don't know how much better it would look. They would have to review the entire headset system that identifies the light, perhaps making cameras work at a different time for each control and making the camera identify any light movement at all.

9 hours ago, lam0218 said:

Valve is a big company and HTC VR is not related to Valve. Valve has their own VR headset. Years ago, they were teammate, it is old story.

this makes sense haha, explains the neglect and quality control of the company.
Well, think about it for 1 second, how the hell was a product released with a tracking issue impossible to replicate (on launch day) and nobody in the company says anything. They thought it was a good idea to launch it this way, perhaps with the idea "we can try to solve it in the future"
8 months and nothing.
And when they do something, they don't improve tracking, and if you see some of the comments above, they make the situation worse.

Well, I still believe it can improve a bit, as I said, but I have already accepted the fact that it will never be perfect or come close to other models, in the case of tracking.

Since I don't play shooting games (where the sniper mod is used), I am not affected; all the games I played had fun for me (except OhShape, which was impossible to play), sometimes losing track; however, they were soon recovered.
However, the problems I always talk about can be solved, as it is a software problem, they are problems similar to the launch, where the cameras lose the light of the controller and it moves by itself. So, I hope they are. So, I hope they are.

• Like 1

I am just curious. RIFT S released much earlier before Cosmos. WHY HTC can launch a undone product to the market ???? They should have done many testing on it and know it is not meeting the expectation....and then still charging much more $ than Rift S.

not sure if anyone else had this problem, but my cosmos seems to not work after this beta install. as in, the device starts up and the display comes on, but nothing is rendered.

getting out of the beta and going back to 1.0.11.2 seems to work fine.

anyone else seeing this behavior?

6 hours ago, thomasmofxr said:

not sure if anyone else had this problem, but my cosmos seems to not work after this beta install. as in, the device starts up and the display comes on, but nothing is rendered.

getting out of the beta and going back to 1.0.11.2 seems to work fine.

anyone else seeing this behavior?

Do you mind submit one issue report in the non working BETA version and let me know the trace number?

Thanks

been having problems with tracking, it ok at first start of a game, but going above head then back to front seems to stick and gets worse after an hr of play, and ive noticed you cant reach behind you to quick or it gets stuck for few sec, and a few sticks when moving controller close to other to 2 hand hold a gun lol other then that im enjoying my cosmos :)