Vive Cosmos display

Zimona

Hi, I have enjoyed Vive Cosmos recently acquired. While waiting for my rechargeable batteries to arrive, we burnt through 16 batteries in 1 week. 

I now have an issue with the view, seems we are always looking up rather than looking straight ahead. Is there anyway to fix / adjust it?

Moreover, when playing beat saber, we understand that faceplate tracks the controller via the lights and it uses motion prediction. It caused some issues not cutting the notes properly. I wonder whether we can buy base stations in the future to use in conjunction with Vive Cosmos for better accuracy tracking and also potentially take videos of us playing the game with green background in the future like we saw streamers do.

Thanks,

James

One last question, currently when playing Half Life and No Man's Sky, the resolution from VR end is very low.

No Man's skyk has non-VR version and the resolution, details are much better. I assume it is because my graphic card is just barely coping with VR. Will a better graphic card 2080 Super improve the resolution in VR lenses? 

(it will be my excuse to upgrade PC and also for better experience for my wife playing beat saber while I am forced to limit myself browsing websites only)

On 5/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, Zimona said:

One last question, currently when playing Half Life and No Man's Sky, the resolution from VR end is very low.

No Man's skyk has non-VR version and the resolution, details are much better. I assume it is because my graphic card is just barely coping with VR. Will a better graphic card 2080 Super improve the resolution in VR lenses? 

(it will be my excuse to upgrade PC and also for better experience for my wife playing beat saber while I am forced to limit myself browsing websites only)

What’s your current setup?

I am currently running GTX 1650 with i7 2nd gen. 8g ram. 

Computer is old.

I have placed an order for RTX3700 + 2080S hopefully arriving next week. Hope that it will have much better resolution through lenses.

image.gif

Edited by Zimona

• 3 weeks later...

Got my new PC. It increased the resolution GREATLY and i realised how clear my VR picture can be. just WOW.

On another note, I have been looking for accessories for VIVE Cosmos. Controllers do not have enough resistance / grip after some 30-1 hour usage of beat saber. On some fast and big movements, I am feeling the controller will fly out. I hope that there will be a gel / rubber cover to increase resistance for better grip.

Also, I hope that I can add tracking stations for body motion tracking... Is there a way to achieve that with Cosmos? 

I have a question regarding your No Man's Sky experience. 

How did you notice that your resolution improved just by switching video cards? Or you were talking about FPS?

When I play No Man's Sky I notice some effects like dust clouds and fog flicker in Cosmos, but not on my PC display. 

One more annoying issue is that sometimes the framerate drops sometimes (above 30 FPS, but still...) I am using 9700k not overclocked, and 1080TI not overclocked, I will probably create a separate thread regarding this issue later on

@Kristodian -

• The Cosmos has the highest display panel resolution of any Vive HMD to date - as a result it has a higher native "per application" rendering resolution
  • You can adjust the "per application" rendering resolution or even the global setting via SteamVR -> Video. This basically adjusts what resolution the application is rendered at which in turn affects the sample that SteamVR grabs to render to the headset. This is where you can make the most difference in the visual perception of the headset resolution as an end-user.
  • The 2D window view on the desktop is a massive resource hog. Developers often disable rendering passes, post processing, and other effects on the 2D window to redirect resources towards the HMD's render output. The "Display VR View" option in SteamVR is going to show the most accurate representation of what the VR-user sees but even then, it's more of an approximation.
  • Framedrops are a pita to try and troubleshoot and causes not only vary from application to application but can be very hyper-system specific. There are so many factors.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:33 PM, VibrantNebula said:

@Kristodian -

• The Cosmos has the highest display panel resolution of any Vive HMD to date - as a result it has a higher native "per application" rendering resolution
  • You can adjust the "per application" rendering resolution or even the global setting via SteamVR -> Video. This basically adjusts what resolution the application is rendered at which in turn affects the sample that SteamVR grabs to render to the headset. This is where you can make the most difference in the visual perception of the headset resolution as an end-user.
  • The 2D window view on the desktop is a massive resource hog. Developers often disable rendering passes, post processing, and other effects on the 2D window to redirect resources towards the HMD's render output. The "Display VR View" option in SteamVR is going to show the most accurate representation of what the VR-user sees but even then, it's more of an approximation.
  • Framedrops are a pita to try and troubleshoot and causes not only vary from application to application but can be very hyper-system specific. There are so many factors.

tnx for reply

I am kind of confused regarding the 2D display. I figured out that it eats my resources, but I didnt find a way to turn it off, so basically always I play, I have another game parallely running on my display. I think when I adjust video settings in game to improve FPS in HMD it also reduces the quality of HMD display, so Im kinda baffled here with my 1080ti

Also regarding the Display VR. When Ive seen the fog/dust clouds flicker on No Many Sky I checked my display to make sure what was the issue. Ive never seen flickering on regular display, but I had it in HMD.  So I figured out while I had flickering in VR I still didnt have then in Display VR. Weird. Its not game breaking or anything, you dont see them on planets that arent windy and dusty, and it you do something concentrated you can successfully ignore it.

@Kristodian - Some games let you turn off the 2D display - others don't. It's a mixed bag. VR is newish - there's not really alot of standards.

The headset renders at a locked resolution - the OpenVR/SteamVR compositor samples the application and then transforms and alters the image to be displayed on the headset. That resolution slider affects what resolution the application renders at - which is then sampled by SteamVR. If you render at a higher resolution than the headset can natively display, it's called "supersampling" and it can improve clarity a number of different ways, especially when dealing with aliasing. If you go under 100%it's called under-sampling - things will get blurrier, both in flatland and in the HMD because the source (game/app) is rendering less pixels out.

If the headset is flicking on all games or in a blank SteamVR compositor, there's an issue with your PC or the headset. If it's only doing it in one game - then it's an issue with that specific piece of software. NMS is a port of a 2D game which complicates that particular situation.