Problems With Vive Cosmos

edu616

I have had this Cosmos for about a week now. I have an overclocked RTX 2080S paired with a Ryzen 3700X and 16GB of 3600MHz ram. Here are some of the things I have encountered:

1. SteamVR Motion Smoothing or Reprojection does not work with this headset, so if you have any dropped frames below 90 it will reproject without smoothing and it feels bad.
  2. I have random stutters even in games that are running well below 11.1ms of the 90Hz (please see pictures on link below for graphs). I have no idea what to do as it breaks the immersion pretty badly (and I have tried all I can, nothing seems to make a difference even sub sampling). The example of the link is while just waiting on the dark room (even without opening a game), the rest of the pictures are from playing Boneworks (other games have the same problem anyway).
  3. https://imgur.com/a/3aU6xpx

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

3 hours ago, lamyipming said:

There should be no render error. Instead of seeking for "motion smoothing" you should find out why you got those error spike lines.

And I bet NRip got it right - it's probably due to your overclocking, if not hardware issue.

I have tried without any overclocking and closed all overclocking software but still have the issue. The thing is I can play any non vr game and do not notice any of the stutters but when I play in vr I have a a lot of spikes that are accounted as frame drops even tho I can see the frames almost locked at 90fps. 

Hello I have more pictures regarding this problems from the vive console: https://imgur.com/gallery/rA58nHv   you will see a lot of frames just skipped and a ton of reprojections even tho I was on the steamVR game launcher

I have tried the following with none giving any results:

1) Tried No OC on my GPU = Problem persisted

2) Uninstalled MSI After Burner and Rivia Turner = Problem persisted

3) Uninstalled Hardware_Info = Problem Persisted

4) Tried turning Gsync Off and tried non vr games = non vr games ran very smooth without any hiccups even with gsync off

5) Tried CCleaner to fix  problems and clean registry = Problem persisted 

6) Tried a reset on the headset within the vive console = When everything got installed back problem persisted 

I have no Idea what to try anymore. Thanks!

Sounds like a setting in Nividia CP.

Do you have VRSS on or pre-rendered frames set to more than 1 in Nvidia control panel 3D  settings?

Maybe reset everything to default settings you or a program might and tweaked some setting in the control panel

Fink.

3 hours ago, Fink said:

Sounds like a setting in Nividia CP.

Do you have VRSS on or pre-rendered frames set to more than 1 in Nvidia control panel 3D  settings?

Maybe reset everything to default settings you or a program might and tweaked some setting in the control panel

Fink.

I think I have found the problem. It was SteamVR beta. I tried before with DDU Uninstaller for drivers and still had the problem so the last thing I needed to try was to go back and instead of beta went into regular and that fixed I still have some frame drops but it's  much much better a lot less fps drops. I still have a lot of reprojections but at least it felt better without all the frame drops. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, edu616 said:

I think I have found the problem. It was SteamVR beta. I tried before with DDU Uninstaller for drivers and still had the problem so the last thing I needed to try was to go back and instead of beta went into regular and that fixed I still have some frame drops but it's  much much better a lot less fps drops. I still have a lot of reprojections but at least it felt better without all the frame drops. 

Have you tried to turn off/re-enable SMT on AMD?

I'm not sure it will work or not, just giving you a suggestion imho.