Warmer lights improve my tracking

lamyipming

I read somewhere (not sure in Reddit or here) that someone experience that tracking under bright white light is somehow worse than a dimmer, warmer (yellower) light.

I use Cosmos in the living room, where my ceiling lights can switch between different modes. 

So after reading that, I try to switch to a different light mode. And there I have it, super sweet accurate aiming!

In case your lights can switch into night mode too, please try it. Or if you don't know if your lights can do so, try switching it on and then off quickly a few times.

Feel free to share your experience below. I am not 100% certain if this works for everyone.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

That's interesting. I wonder if you went the other way and changed the colour of the controller lights, say with a coloured film, to something more towards the red end of the spectrum (longer waves) it would be easier to detect under normal lighting conditions? Just a thought.

Fink

• 3 weeks later...

Will the sun also impact the tracking? 

Just received my cosmos last week, everything goes well (maybe because i only tried beat saber yet) except when i play in my living room (with a window) my controllers sometimes turns really wired.
All my lights are white but not sure if the sun also impact the tracking.

@SeverusVR - The sun will definitely mess up your tracking. In an optical system, it basically ruins your exposure values and having an environment that's too bright means the controller's tracking fiduciaries don't stand out against the background and instead blend in.

VR doesn't vibe with sunlight. The lenses in an HMD are basically magnifying glasses - if they catch sunlight they will focus the light onto the screens like a laser beam and will physically burn the screens (example). You can damage the screen with just a second or two of direct exposure to the sun - it's super easy to accidentally kill your HMD with stray sunlight and you need to ensure that sunlight can't hit the HMD.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SeverusVR said:

Will the sun also impact the tracking? 

Just received my cosmos last week, everything goes well (maybe because i only tried beat saber yet) except when i play in my living room (with a window) my controllers sometimes turns really wired.
All my lights are white but not sure if the sun also impact the tracking.

Definitely avoid the sun at all cost. I always lower the blinds and turn on the ceiling lights even if I'm playing in the afternoon and the room is well lit. The sun is simply too bright and will kill your tracking. Imagine taking your phone camera towards the sun, it can't see shit.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity @lamyipming, what kind of lights did you use? We're using all LEDs in our room right now that spit out white light. Willing to switch to something warm but curious if we have to go the incandescent route or if we can go with something like a LIFX Smart Bulb that can switch to warm?

• 1 month later...

For the record, I did do this to try and help my tracking but it ultimately did not help very much at all 😞 

I filled my playspace with these and tried various temperatures: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lifx-mini-day-dusk-a19-smart-wi-fi-led-light-bulb-english/11456458

Ultimately wasn't the silver bullet I hoped for. Hopefully you have better luck.