Full body tracking

Xfrawg

which would be better with full body tracking Vive pro or cosmo elite. I am planning buying one or the other. Which ever supports full body better. I was going to buy the cosmo elite package, but I think I need a face plate for external tracking. Does include the tracking belts?

I think you'd be better off with the Vive pro for full body, it uses base station 2 technology so you can have more light houses and so better tracking, though I think you need to buy the extra trackers and 3rd/4th base stations separate

The cosmos elite does come with the external tracking faceplate, controlers and base stations no other accessories. (well chargers and cables but you know what I mean)

Edited by JohnyDL
  • Thanks 1

I see, well I went with cosmos elite, just because one extra thing, It came with half life. It came with everything pro did except what you said. base stations 1.0 and not 2.0. I thought I saw somewhere that someone said you can mix and match. If not I will just slowly buy two more base stations and the three trackers for my body. Thanks for your help. Done psvr, but first time with pc vr.

@Xfrawg - You can't mix and match generations of basestations - you have to be all 1.0 or all 2.0 because the two generations clash with each other. For most in-home use cases, 2.0 doesn't have a terribly different UX. Most of the advantages for 2.0 stations come with more commercial/professional use cases where you need larger spaces or you need to have a ton of base-stations in a  single room (like a conference).

Regardless of whatever station generation you ultimately land on - I'd recommend ensuring that you turn on basestation power management and have the stations go into full standby that way you maximize their lifespan. Both 1.0 and 2.0 stations are mechanical devices so having them spin 24x7 will impact their lifespan. For full body tracking there might be a slight edge for 2.0 tracking with 3 or 4 stations since it helps limit occlusion/deadspots but the accuracy is more or less identical otherwise.

For mounting them - we recommend Trackstraps.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

@Xfrawg - You can't mix and match generations of basestations - you have to be all 1.0 or all 2.0 because the two generations clash with each other. For most in-home use cases, 2.0 doesn't have a terribly different UX. Most of the advantages for 2.0 stations come with more commercial/professional use cases where you need larger spaces or you need to have a ton of base-stations in a  single room (like a conference).

Regardless of whatever station generation you ultimately land on - I'd recommend ensuring that you turn on basestation power management and have the stations go into full standby that way you maximize their lifespan. Both 1.0 and 2.0 stations are mechanical devices so having them spin 24x7 will impact their lifespan. For full body tracking there might be a slight edge for 2.0 tracking with 3 or 4 stations since it helps limit occlusion/deadspots but the accuracy is more or less identical otherwise.

For mounting them - we recommend Trackstraps.

Now I have been also into finger movement. Do the controllers allow finger movements as well? Trying to figure out what I can do with it.

@Xfrawg The only controllers on the market right now that support full hand tracking right now are the Valve index controllers. Only a handful of pieces of software actually fully support them though - for the vast majority of published content they have similar functionality as Vive wands or Oculus Touch controllers as those are the controller mappings that most developers have integrated and designed their games around. Index controllers can be used with any SteamVR tracked headset like Vive, Pro, Pro Eye, and Cosmos Elite or with the Cosmos External Tracking faceplate that will launch soon.

7 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

@Xfrawg The only controllers on the market right now that support full hand tracking right now are the Valve index controllers. Only a handful of pieces of software actually fully support them though - for the vast majority of published content they have similar functionality as Vive wands or Oculus Touch controllers as those are the controller mappings that most developers have integrated and designed their games around. Index controllers can be used with any SteamVR tracked headset like Vive, Pro, Pro Eye, and Cosmos Elite or with the Cosmos External Tracking faceplate that will launch soon.

Thank you, You been very helpful. I should have my cosmos elite on the 17th. Once I get the full body tracking brought. I will get my the knuckles then. Thanks again.