Coming Soon: Cosmos Elite Headset (HMD Only) and External Tracking Faceplate, both with Half-Life: Alyx

Reposting our March 31st blog post here for increased visibility:

Headcrab, meet Cosmos Elite HMD. We’ve heard your feedback and soon we’ll offer an upgrade option for existing Vive owners (or those with base stations and controllers already). In the coming weeks, we’ll launch both a headset-only version of the Cosmos Elite Headset and the External Tracking Faceplate as a stand-alone accessory. Best of all, both purchases come with a redemption code for Half-Life: Alyx*.

Launched last week, the Vive Cosmos Elite pairs the performance of external tracking alongside the flexibility of the Cosmos platform to meet the needs of the most demanding VR entertainment enthusiasts. All Vive Cosmos headsets include the same impressive visuals (2880 x 1700 combined pixel resolution), and comfort features including an innovative flip-up design that can transport users to and from their virtual world with ease.

Retailing for $549, the headset-only option (for existing Vive owners with base stations and controllers) will include a pre-installed External Tracking Faceplate and the Cosmos headset, alongside Half-Life: Alyx and six months of Viveport Infinity for free. The External Tracking Faceplate, retailing for $199 as an upgrade accessory for Vive Cosmos, can be used with base station versions 1.0 or 2.0 as well as the original Vive or Vive Pro controllers and is easily swapped with the original inside-out tracking faceplate that ships with Vive Cosmos. The External Tracking Faceplate will also include a redemption code for Half-Life: Alyx and six months of Viveport Infinity for free.

The Elite headset will begin shipping starting in April with on-sale date varying by region (see chart below). The External Tracking Faceplate will launch globally later in Q2. Given demand, we are releasing these to markets as quickly as we can given supply chain challenges associated with the ongoing health crisis.

Cosmos Elite Headset

Country
      Pre-Order
      On Sale
CN        N/A       16-Apr
TW       1-Apr       16-Apr
EU       7-Apr       27-Apr
UK       7-Apr       27-Apr
CA       1-Apr       1-May
US       1-Apr       1-May
AU        N/A       May
KR        N/A       May
NZ       N/A       May
JP      To be announced      To be announced
KSA       1-May       18-May
UAE       1 May       18-May

Cosmos External Tracking Faceplate

Country
On Sale
KR Late April
CA 1-May
US 1-May
EU 15-May
UK 15-May
AU May
ME 10-Jun
TW Late April
JP To be announced

By using Lighthouse base station technology, Vive Cosmos Elite users will be able to experience the power and precision of SteamVR tracking. Vive Cosmos Elite and the External Tracking Faceplate also support Vive’s ecosystem of peripherals including the Vive Wireless Adapter for an untethered VR experience and the Vive Tracker—delivering unprecedented input freedom for VR controls.

* Redemption code not available in all regions. Digital code included in box. Limited time offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There never has been a clear distinction made between the Cosmos Link Boxe and the Vive Pro Link Box.  The only obvious difference is that the Cosmos LB is supplied by a slightly higher powered 12v2.5a PS vs the Pro's 12v1.5a.  It's understood that this is because of the slightly higher power demands for the Cosmos.  It is also not clear which link Box is included with the Cosmos Elite full kit.

Quick questions;

Does the original Cosmos Link Box have Bluetooth capability like the Vive Pro Link Box?  Is the Link Box supplied with the Elite full kit (w/1.0 base stations/controllers) the same as the OG Cosmos or is it a Vive Pro Link Box?

If you use the Elite faceplate  with an OG Cosmos and 1.0 or 2.0 base stations/controllers will you be able to control device settings like base station power options using the Cosmos Link Box?  Thanks.

@TomCgcmfc

• Vive Cosmos' stock linkbox does not have the correct SteamVR bluetooth circuitry to power manage base-stations. Vive Pro's does.
  • The Elite does not ship with a linkbox but instead ships with an inline breakway converter.
  • The ET/Elite have the circutiry for BT power management in the faceplate itself. If you get an ET to use with a standard Cosmos, BT power management will work for you regardless of the linkbox/converter situation.
    • I've just tested this IRL to confirm.
    • I personally use a Pro linkbox at my new home workstation for Cosmos/Elite/Pro/Pro Eye. Never have had an issue personally but it may not be advisable in a in-home use scenario due to the different power requirements you mentioned.

@eddyfanbo

• I've sent out an internal request for clarification on Chinese availability

@Shevron

• We're exploring potential options but have nothing hard to share at this time per a controller/basestation bundle. The COVID situation makes everything dramatically more challenging.

@Beta_Tester

• Definitely doesn't hurt to ask and I'll forward that request to some folk on the hardware team because it doesn't hurt to ask ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Generally though, it's not feasible for us to "play favorites" with community members, especially given the ET/Cosmos tracking community dynamic. If you're developing content that will publish to a storefront, that potentially opens some doors.

I'd post-face all of this all with to note that I am not on Vive's hardware team and am actually on the Viveport Content team so I am not a definitive source of truth for Vive hardware matters - I am merely someone who believes very strongly in community hence my forum activity.

• Thanks 2

Hi @VibrantNebula thanks for what you're doing for the community!

I just want to add my +1 to the sentiments of @Shevron and @Beta_Tester. I'd be much more likely to stick with my recently purchased, but barely working, Cosmos if I had some sort of reassurance that there will be a reasonably priced ET upgrade kit on the horizon.

I actually really like the Cosmos HMD, it's comfortable to wear, the screen is nice and even the head tracking is mostly fine. But the software issues and, imo, the completely broken controller tracking make the Cosmos unusable right now.

As it stands, I'd be looking at forking out more than AUD$1300 to upgrade my Cosmos system to ET (2 base stations + controllers  + faceplate). If this is my only option to get an actual working unit, I'm just going to return the Cosmos to where I bought it and fork out the extra AUD$400 to buy a Cosmos Elite kit instead.

• Like 1

@asdfrewq Just my fellow Aussie opinion but if I were you I would consider forking out $aud200 more and get the Vive Pro full kit  w/2.0 base stations/controllers while they still have stock.  I think it's a better headset and the oled screens look much better in darkish games/sims (better blacks/contrast).  Since I got my Pro my poor old pre-ordered Cosmos has been stored away.  I may reinstall it one day if inside-out tracking ever meets Rift S standards and probably put my wireless adapter on it.  Anyway, your $'s so your choice.  I'm sure the Elite would work well though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, asdfrewq said:

I actually really like the Cosmos HMD, it's comfortable to wear, the screen is nice and even the head tracking is mostly fine. But the software issues and, imo, the completely broken controller tracking make the Cosmos unusable right now.

As it stands, I'd be looking at forking out more than AUD$1300 to upgrade my Cosmos system to ET (2 base stations + controllers  + faceplate). If this is my only option to get an actual working unit, I'm just going to return the Cosmos to where I bought it and fork out the extra AUD$400 to buy a Cosmos Elite kit instead.

Exactly. The HMD on its own is just perfect in my eyes. I can wear it for hours with 0 complaints.