Cosmos Elite HMD + Wireless accelerometer jitter

llealloo

Yeahh it's still doing it @stvnxu

Long session last night gave me some awful motion sickness and a gnarly headache 😞

It feels to me like the accelerometer is hyperactive. When I tap my finger on the HMD (without really moving it at all), the resulting shake in the display looks like it's being moved around a lot. When comparing the movement of the hmd display to my surroundings by kind of peering outside a little (see video), you can tell that the position reporting to SteamVR is exaggerated for a split second, as if the accelerometer is telling the display that it should be moving a lot more than it actually is.

The video shows me tapping on the front of the HMD, barely moving it however the display showing a jitter in screen. When wearing it, it is much more pronounced as it affects the whole field of view. This happens any time I take a step anywhere, or make a sudden turn of my head. Using the exact same setup with my Valve Index HMD, this issue is non existent.

PC specs: core i9 9900k + Vega64 + 64GB ram

It happens in any experience not just SteamVR Home

Also happens, but the effect is less pronounced when wired

Okay after A-B'ing the wired vs wireless, it's pretty clear that there is a rather large delay with the wireless and that is probably contributing a lot more to the wonkiness. The wired did not leave me feeling nauseous just now. Going to try restarting.

• Like 1

I had the PCIe card in the farthest slot from the GPU, now it is sitting in the 1X slot directly above it. The latency seems to be reduced, but my brain is still picking up a little bit of wonk however it is greatly improved. The accelerometer issue is still present. Going to try a GTX 1080 instead of the Vega 64 next.

Lag & shakiness is still present with the 1080 vs the Vega64. It's juuuust noticeable enough to be a little off-putting to my motion sickness tolerances. Definitely enough that I am hesitant to use this for a long session.

I've tried turning off supersampling and lowered the resolution to be 1:1 with the cosmos resolution. Shakiness is still present. Open to trying some other suggestions?

Other things I have tried:

• moving the PCIe card to the 1X right above the GPU (this did help a lot)
  • trying both AMD/Nvidia
  • trying both wired and wireless (wired feels a lot smoother)

@C.T. @stvnxu

• Like 1

@llealloo Thank you for the testing and detailed notes! Super helpful and informative. 

I have forwarded this to our internal eng team and waiting to hear next steps. Stay tuned, we'll identify and solve this together. 

PS. There may be a delay in response given the current event and time zone. Thanks for your patience.

@stvnxu Good! I am glad it is helpful. I am down to keep trying some stuff out.

I tried it on my workstation today as well:

AMD 3970x + TRX40 Creator + GTX1080 which has plenty of PCIe gen4 16x slots. The GPU was in slot 1 and the WiGig card in #2

Still gave me motion sickness from the subtle latency / shake. Basically the same performance as the other machine.

• Like 1

@stvnxu Thanks again

I tried that, and I can subjectively say that it does seem to improve things a bit as far as responsiveness.

However, the jitter/shakiness when taking steps in any direction are still present.

Also is there a way to adjust the camera's focal plane in SteamVR? It seems to me like I am looking through eyes about 0.5" - 1" too far forward than my actual eyes. That could be contributing a lot to my motion sickness as compared to the Valve Index.

Closed SteamVR, installed SteamVR Advanced Settings to see if I could adjust the focal plane, opened SteamVR back up again, applied task mgr settings and paired a few controllers. Back to really bad latency, and the minor shakiness still present.

Restarted, opened SteamVR, applied task mgr settings, still bad latency. Tried wired Cosmos, no latency but shakiness still present.

So hit or miss with the wireless latency. When it's bad, it only takes me about 15 seconds before I start to feel a bit sick.

I think it is a separate issue from the shakiness, though- that to me still feels like the tracking software is overcompensating with the accelerometer data.

Lots of issues. Thanks for the help.