Vive Cosmos Upgrade Kit?

Tindelltech

On 6/4/2020 at 7:58 PM, LMulvey said:

As a first time buyer, absolutely.  This has been a thoroughly irritating experience and I've personally lost all confidence in HTC. I waitlisted for a Valve Index last week and won't look back. It's an 8+ week wait at this point but if I'm going to pay $800 to make my cheaply-built HMD work properly, I might as well cut my losses and spend $1300 to get a top-of-the-line, well-built headset with proper support. 

I'll try to sell my Cosmos to a friend as an entry-level step in and ensure they understand that a large portion of the games for it would be non-functional. I can't wait to play through Half-Life: Alyx again and actually be able to take cover on objects without losing tracking, haha!

I should add that the few HTC staffers who roam these forums are awesome and are doing the best that they can. I additionally had a great chat with someone on their support chat last week, who was also awesome. I feel bad that they're put in this position to try and service a faulty product without any clear direction from higher ups or a clear path to a fix. In light of their layoffs yesterday, I hope that if we lost any of the support team, they find work elsewhere at a company who at least attempts to care about their consumers.

Yeah that's very good of you! 🙂the fact when you're selling it you are making sure the buyer is aware of the issues. unlike HTC marketing team LOL .Watched a in-depth youtube video about this headset and just like the guy said " This headset shouldn't really exist." is spot on. It's still a good headset if you're playing games like racing sims and so on. Head tracking there's no issues with. But man was i boiling when trying to play boneworks. 😡

• 3 months later...

There should absolutely be an upgrade path available to original Cosmos owners. I first dipped into VR last year after trying the Oculus Rift. I was immediately hooked and wanted to invest more money in a better system. The Cosmos was just around the corner and on paper, it ticked all of the boxes. What a woeful mistake that was! 

The games support in the beginning was non-existent, I had Skyrim VR, No Mans Sky and Fallout VR, all worked flawlessly on the Rift. There was no controller support for the Cosmos so I had to try to get it working, spent hours in forums trying fixes. Eventually, three weeks later, the games were somewhat playable. 
Then followed the terrible tracking issues which everyone is aware of. Then not 4 months later, HTC announce the Elite. Had I known that was coming, I would have waited. There is no financially suitable upgrade path, buying all the upgrades as separates (Wands/Knuckles, 2 x base stations and the faceplate come to nearly £550. Only £150 less than what I paid for the Cosmos in the first place. 

How is this any way to treat your consumers? And as  first time HTC buyer? Pff, I will never buy another HTC product again if you do not do something about this. 

All I want is a reasonable upgrade offered to original Cosmos owners, say the faceplate, wands and basestations for £250. Otherwise, I'm just going to invest in an Index or HP and sell this piece of shit on eBay. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 1:02 AM, Santiago5uk said:

There should absolutely be an upgrade path available to original Cosmos owners. I first dipped into VR last year after trying the Oculus Rift. I was immediately hooked and wanted to invest more money in a better system. The Cosmos was just around the corner and on paper, it ticked all of the boxes. What a woeful mistake that was! 

The games support in the beginning was non-existent, I had Skyrim VR, No Mans Sky and Fallout VR, all worked flawlessly on the Rift. There was no controller support for the Cosmos so I had to try to get it working, spent hours in forums trying fixes. Eventually, three weeks later, the games were somewhat playable. 
Then followed the terrible tracking issues which everyone is aware of. Then not 4 months later, HTC announce the Elite. Had I known that was coming, I would have waited. There is no financially suitable upgrade path, buying all the upgrades as separates (Wands/Knuckles, 2 x base stations and the faceplate come to nearly £550. Only £150 less than what I paid for the Cosmos in the first place. 

How is this any way to treat your consumers? And as  first time HTC buyer? Pff, I will never buy another HTC product again if you do not do something about this. 

All I want is a reasonable upgrade offered to original Cosmos owners, say the faceplate, wands and basestations for £250. Otherwise, I'm just going to invest in an Index or HP and sell this piece of shit on eBay. 

No use at all. They are always completely silent for all the times. All of us is just complaining to the air and no one will really listen or do any action.

I have said many many times : only two options : 1. worldwide recall for this faulty product    2. Compensation for free upgrade to Elite which fix the terrifying tracking issue (no reason why we need to pay for the fix) 

buying this faulty product is the most regrettable decision in my life. I would rather spend the money on PS5 with mark-up price or just do donation.

Edited by lam0218
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, lam0218 said:

No use at all. They are always completely silent for all the times. All of us is just complaining to the air and no one will really listen or do any action.

I have said many many times : only two options : 1. worldwide recall for this faulty product    2. Compensation for free upgrade to Elite which fix the terrifying tracking issue (no reason why we need to pay for the fix) 

buying this faulty product is the most regrettable decision in my life. I would rather spend the money on PS5 with mark-up price or just do donation.

I disagree. I dont have many tracking issues with the cosmos and the latest beta patch. Yes, it's not perfect but it also depends on a game itself. For example, the walking dead onslaught works great on the Cosmos. I could sell it on eBay for about the same money I bought it for (O got a really good deal on it) but the Cosmos is the only PCVR headset available in Australia with the IPD adjustment.

Other reasons I keep the Cosmos:

1. Amazing and colour accurate screen

2. Good comfort and FOV once I replaced the facial interface 

3. Good sound

4. Possible future mods

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 9:11 AM, Fink said:

Hi @Hernes

Interesting comment "Good comfort and FOV once I replaced the facial interface" so what did you replace it with if I may ask?

Cheers!

Fink

Hi Fink,

I believe there is a slim facial interface on sale on the official website however it is now available in Australia. So instead i cut my own out of felt and it sticks to the cosmos and feels great. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Hernes

Mine is wearing out and fraying at the top I will give it a try. 

As for the headset, mine is working fine and more than adequate for everything I use it for and if for some reason I need sub-millimetre accuracy I'll use the Elite face place and base stations (light houses whatever) but to be honest for most stuff @C.T. and his crew did a great job in stabilizing the wobbly controller syndrome even if it's not the best on the market (but it does use a different tech that  the FB unit so hard to exactly compare). I understand the grips about the expense (maybe claim it some of it creatively back on tax?) and the time it took to fix stuff but hey in a perfect world and all that.

I only hope they continue to add improvements over time to justify our investment in this product. Also doing some stuff in Unreal Engine so hoping that thy will make the AR faceplate available to the general public.

Cheers!

Fink.

I'm getting sick of seeing very regular quest updates very often containing added features like hand tracking. @C.T. has been great, but he has his hands tied - they won't even tell us what the hardware inside is! (though I did find out if anyone is interested).

I've spent the lockdown doing beta testing, but now I've been offered my money back so I can't see any reason to keep the Vive.

HTC continue to be silent about these problems here or publicly. They're damaging their reputation by doing this.

I've suggested upgrade ktis for us -they ignored that.... I suggested that they consider another option like adding another camera to the pc to cover blind spots - also ignored (I know another manufacturer did that but can't remember who)

Therefore I really can't see how HTC can fix properly without upgrading us to Elite.

Please @Htc @HTC Corporation - tell us what will happen - preferably before I return my HMD next week for a full refund!