Vive Cosmos Upgrade Kit?

Tindelltech

Agreed!! I think a lot of vanilla Cosmos users would consider an upgrade package that included ET Faceplate, 2 x Controller, 2 x Lighthouse - especially if upgrading didn't cost as much as the Cosmos in the first place. I originally thought upgrading would lead to just shelving your inside-out controllers forever but it would be interesting to unlock the full versatility of Cosmos. Having your home play space configured with permanent precision controls AND being able to swap faceplates, taking the Cosmos to share with friends or family using inside-out tracking. Best of both worlds.

Bumping this. I noticed in the HTC store today they've added another faceplate which allows you to add the Cosmos native faceplate to the Cosmos Elite or other Cosmos headsets (https://www.vive.com/ca/accessory/motion-faceplate/). In it, they tout that it will provide the "benefit from extra-accurate inside-out tracking". This is an outright lie. The tracking is not good with the Cosmos. 

While I appreciate the updates that they've made to the software, this is becoming ridiculous. Honestly, at this point, don't believe that HTC have any plans to rectify the situation and truly plan to try and gouge people by getting them to pay an extra $700+ to make external tracking work instead of the actual $200 difference in MSRP between the Cosmos and Cosmos Elite. If they truly planned a fairly priced upgrade path for Cosmos users, they wouldn't be continuing to sell the $250 faceplate.

I know I'm only one customer but if HTC doesn't correct this, I'll be selling the Cosmos I bought (at a discount because I'm not an asshole) and continuing to recommend people away from HTC entirely if they're entering the ecosystem. HTC is losing a customer for life and I'm certain I'm not the only one. Owning your mistakes and correcting them is an easy way to earn customer loyalty but fumbling it in the way HTC has is an equally easy way to lose consumer trust. I'll happily jump aboard something like a Valve Index instead of HTC.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 8:01 PM, LMulvey said:

Bumping this. I noticed in the HTC store today they've added another faceplate which allows you to add the Cosmos native faceplate to the Cosmos Elite or other Cosmos headsets (https://www.vive.com/ca/accessory/motion-faceplate/). In it, they tout that it will provide the "benefit from extra-accurate inside-out tracking". This is an outright lie. The tracking is not good with the Cosmos. 

While I appreciate the updates that they've made to the software, this is becoming ridiculous. Honestly, at this point, don't believe that HTC have any plans to rectify the situation and truly plan to try and gouge people by getting them to pay an extra $700+ to make external tracking work instead of the actual $200 difference in MSRP between the Cosmos and Cosmos Elite. If they truly planned a fairly priced upgrade path for Cosmos users, they wouldn't be continuing to sell the $250 faceplate.

I know I'm only one customer but if HTC doesn't correct this, I'll be selling the Cosmos I bought (at a discount because I'm not an asshole) and continuing to recommend people away from HTC entirely if they're entering the ecosystem. HTC is losing a customer for life and I'm certain I'm not the only one. Owning your mistakes and correcting them is an easy way to earn customer loyalty but fumbling it in the way HTC has is an equally easy way to lose consumer trust. I'll happily jump aboard something like a Valve Index instead of HTC.

Totally agree with you. And I am telling everyone about this piece of sh...!

Bye bye, htc.  Thank you for nothing.

Screenshot_20200531-114805.thumb.png.ab1a407e7cd072d2d74b5409a288926b.png

HP is also making a new high resolution VR with help of Valve and Microsoft, pricing at USD599 this fall. The selling point is much higher resolution than Index, without any external sensor, similar to Rift S and Cosmos. But tracking really need to test once it arrived....

For HTC, I hope you really listen to the community and do a responsible action to all cosmos buyer. You can't just ignore everyone's comment. Pls tell us what your roadmap is and how you will do to fix the current Cosmos tracking issue. I don't want my Cosmos to be fixed by the time it is an outdated product and then Cosmos 2 come up....

Edited by lam0218
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ACME said:

Totally agree with you. And I am telling everyone about this piece of sh...!

Bye bye, htc.  Thank you for nothing.

Screenshot_20200531-114805.thumb.png.ab1a407e7cd072d2d74b5409a288926b.png

I personally prefer weighted controllers as I also prefer the heave Xbox one Elite Controller over everything else.
So this is a matter of taste and not a matter of quality.

Tracking of course depends on the games you play.
The more it's shooter games the less good the tracking feels.

I won't call it a complete mess when you play other games..

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:20 PM, Klayburn said:

Agreed!! I think a lot of vanilla Cosmos users would consider an upgrade package that included ET Faceplate, 2 x Controller, 2 x Lighthouse - especially if upgrading didn't cost as much as the Cosmos in the first place. I originally thought upgrading would lead to just shelving your inside-out controllers forever but it would be interesting to unlock the full versatility of Cosmos. Having your home play space configured with permanent precision controls AND being able to swap faceplates, taking the Cosmos to share with friends or family using inside-out tracking. Best of both worlds.

That is indeed true.

For me to upgrade as something that is necessary to play high precision games ( while it was marketed and having an "edge" for precision ), will be more expensive then the headset it self. Just as example: 

I got my headset for 3500NIS ( around 1000$ ), Prices that I've saw on the essentials for outside tracking are - Base station 2.0 1300NIS , x2 Wand 2.0 1000NIS x2 , and obviously the faceplate around 1500NIS aproxx ( faceplates do not sell yet here )

Which makes it around 5500NIS.. (around 1600$) 

As unattractive as it sounds that we didnt get what was on the product label, and that we have to spend more money to get it to fit the original marketed description, I would have upgraded to Elite set, but I am not expecting to to cost me more then 50% of the original Cosmos price 

I do not have any of my older vive equipment.  Sold it as i thought the Cosmos was an upgrade.  Obviously that's not the case.  So to get what i had, i'd need tracking stations, wands, and a faceplate.  All of which to add to a headset i've spent a lot of money on at launch.  This is the 3rd time HTC has screwed me over as an early buyer of VR headsets from HTC.  I'm feeling cheated and exploited.  Anyone else feeling like that?

• Like 1

As a first time buyer, absolutely.  This has been a thoroughly irritating experience and I've personally lost all confidence in HTC. I waitlisted for a Valve Index last week and won't look back. It's an 8+ week wait at this point but if I'm going to pay $800 to make my cheaply-built HMD work properly, I might as well cut my losses and spend $1300 to get a top-of-the-line, well-built headset with proper support. 

I'll try to sell my Cosmos to a friend as an entry-level step in and ensure they understand that a large portion of the games for it would be non-functional. I can't wait to play through Half-Life: Alyx again and actually be able to take cover on objects without losing tracking, haha!

I should add that the few HTC staffers who roam these forums are awesome and are doing the best that they can. I additionally had a great chat with someone on their support chat last week, who was also awesome. I feel bad that they're put in this position to try and service a faulty product without any clear direction from higher ups or a clear path to a fix. In light of their layoffs yesterday, I hope that if we lost any of the support team, they find work elsewhere at a company who at least attempts to care about their consumers.

Edited by LMulvey
  • Like 2

I wouldn't consider "upgrading" to Elite even if there's such an option. Using the decade old Vive wands is just lame.

I'm fine with Cosmos's performance now, tracking is acceptable for me. But perhaps in the future when I consider an upgrade I'll probably stay away from HTC.

HTC you really did screw up badly this time, be it strategically or technically.

• Like 1