GPU most used in VR statistics

Currently using a GTX 1070 for dev, testing and demo, with a first commercial project in sight I was planning to upgrade so also to align with perspective customer. 

I can do myself the choice of the best GPU for the needs and 3d engine used, but looking at what the market is using I didn't find any statistics available about what the others VR customers are using. 

Steam didn't break down the GPU stat for VR, anything on the Vive side? 

Will be available under an enterprise agreement? Not general usage data of course, only about the used hardware statistics. 

Any company has the right to use his data, but they might have also a value for his customers. 

@davide445 I'll ask our BI team about this. Vive is definitely way more on the privacy-oriented side of the VR spectrum than competing firms so we don't really share alot about our customers - via reporting nor via API. It gets complex though because various layers of the tech stack (software or hardware) may capture and report data separately from our layers (i.e. Steam Hardware Survey).

Appreciate as general settings, but hard to find a way my or anyone privacy will be harmed from statistical or anonymized data. 

As Vive own private data I think you are a bit shooting in your own foot... My I suggest asking the marketing team in addition to the BI one. But I will stop here since this is really up to HTC. 

Edited by davide445

@davide445 - I've confirmed with our BI team that Vive is very conservative with any user/usage data that is collected and we have a strong blanket policy to refuse all requests from outside entities with exceptions being rare.

This is a question I've never actually gotten from another developer in my entire time running DevRel at Vive - most devs use the Steam survey or simply target the GTX1060 or 1070. This simply isn't widely requested information and I think as a whole, we see a lot of positive sentiment from both developers and consumers about being more privacy oriented than some of our key competitors. The only type of question I field in this vain are questions about which SDKs are supported on which GPUs in cases where there is a hardware dependency like SRWorks. With 30% of the usage Oculus reporting as "other" I'm not sure this is a very helpful dashboard unless you're trying to parse out RTX from GTX for hardware specific dependencies.

For most general users, I'd recommend the RTX2060 or RTX2070 and would only push clients toward higher cards if your application specifically requires it, post-optimization as it's simply bad practice to ship unoptimized builds. I'd also steer all developers towards integrating Nvidia VRS if possible.

• Thanks 1

I've learned something.

I like planning using data, but of course that's my way of doing things.

Also my perspective it's a bit changed since here in EU it's now possible to actually rent GPU for usage in our on premise systems, so will be possible for developers and customers to update more frequently and easily.

@davide445 I think the most important generalized thing devs need to know about GPUs are that currently between 80-90% of VR users are sporting Nvidia cards and thus it makes a huge deal of sense for you to take a very serious look at incorporating Nvidia's VRWorks and VRS. Things like VRSS are major major wins for both developers and consumers alike and since it's mostly an Nvidia game, it's safe to assume that if you integrate those technologies into your project, your user-base will benefit.

@VibrantNebulaI know the technologies and have researched extensively on the topic for the cloud VR.

Anyway I'm not keen in investing into project specific solutions, that also will probably bring less benefits than the effort needed to integrate them into the engine we use, at least so far.

The GPU vendor market share it's an easy information to catch, my interest was more into details regarding generation trends. But I think there isn't so much more to say on the topic.