Lighting & Environment Guidelines/Utility

Klayburn

I was thinking about how much of a contributing factor the play area lighting, dimension and environment is to the overall tracking experience. It is likely the biggest factor from person-to-person in how well tracking performs. I believe I've seen some basic guidelines - well-lit (not under or over lit), clear differentiation between walls and floors, presence of some defining features. Is that as far it goes?

I would be curious to know how many people bought the Cosmos, had a room that was slightly too bright or dim, and then assumed it was never going to track properly.

It would be great if we had some type of specific guidelines (best light color temperature, bulb type, best possible brightness), or even better a utility to help Cosmos owners optimize their play area conditions, thus improving tracking. I've seen both sides of how it is detrimental, too dark and it doesn't see nearly enough, too bright and it washes out the contrast of the light rings. There are warnings in place that notify if the light is too high or too low, but finding the lighting "sweet-spot" is simply trial and error at this point.

Just a thought!

• Like 2

Hi @Klayburn,

Thanks for sharing this! I think the challenge in producing this type of guideline is keeping it up to date. As you're aware, the team is continuously pushing software updates to improve the Cosmos experience. With tracking currently being the number 1 priority, this means being able to accommodate/adapt to various environmental conditions of our customers. In other words, the goal would be to not require such a document. There's definitely room for improvement so we ask for your continued support and patience as we roll them out. Nonetheless this is still great feedback and will share with our engineering team to consider. Please feel free to share more. 

Steve

• Like 2

Hi all,

To be honest with you, i tested several games and the tracking is pretty good so maybe the room i'm in helps a lot, it's a small 6m2 office, my floor is dark and the walls are white , but there are a lot of objects around, I have a window on my right, I have, from time to time, a message especially at the end of the day on the lack of light but when it happens I turn on a halogen which is facing the helmet, but not at its maximum. When night falls I close the shutters of my window, and I light the halogen fully. I would post a picture of my location when I play so you can get an idea.

Thanks for the response @stvnxu!! I definitely didn't think of it that way and it makes way more sense. 

Rather than having to specifically custom tailor and fine tune for specific environmental conditions the adaptability of the Cosmos will make up for these differences and adjust itself accordingly. 

Another great reassurance that you guys are on top of it and there are even more great improvements down the road!

6 hours ago, NRip said:

Hi all,

To be honest with you, i tested several games and the tracking is pretty good so maybe the room i'm in helps a lot, it's a small 6m2 office, my floor is dark and the walls are white , but there are a lot of objects around, I have a window on my right, I have, from time to time, a message especially at the end of the day on the lack of light but when it happens I turn on a halogen which is facing the helmet, but not at its maximum. When night falls I close the shutters of my window, and I light the halogen fully. I would post a picture of my location when I play so you can get an idea.

I would definitely be interested in seeing a pic of your play area/setup. In mine I was able to change some things around in order to get the best possible light but I have a funny feeling the overhead light I use is slightly on the too-bright side - I'll post one also.

Have a good day!

Here is what I am working with right now. I've got suspended ceiling in my basement and I was having some height issues.. I'm 6' 2" so everytime I tried to throw or overhand swing I would usually smoke my light fixture that was there. Remedied this by cutting a section out and removing the original light,  setup LED strip around the border then hung a shop light in between floor joists. The LED strip alone isn't enough to brighten the room to optimal but the shop lamp was almost overkill - covered it with a parchment shroud and it seems to diffuse the light a bit better. Set the cable up for overhead suspension. I use a circular rug to provide a bit of "tactile" boundary on my feet, if I step off it chances are good a thrust or arm swing will reach a wall. 

playarea.jpg

• Like 1

@NRip - That's a dope spot. Extra points for that terminator rig you got there too. 

@Klayburn - Nice wire rig set up!! that's so sick and clean. Lighting looks good. Great to see no holes in your wall. Extra points for that Himalayan salt, i have one too lol.

• Like 1