cannot launch viveport all of a sudden

lee1968

I was logged in on the app, but it kept opening up a browser page for some reason to tell me to log in.

Ok, so I uninstalled the VIVE application, the driver and the other stuff with "VIVE" in front of it from my programs list. Reinstalled the whole thing (full setup) and it started working again.

However, it caused other problems in which I would occasionally get pop ups and errors from steam such as "Application already Running" whenever I attempt to launch applications from inside VR home. Usually I can ignore the error, and it keeps working but not always.

Also, my Camera overlay stopped working. It shows as enabled in my options, but after i uninstalled and reinstalled, it stopped working. Was fine for about 4-5 hours, at which point, one of my applications crashed, and when I tried to reboot because after the crash, headset controller and towers were showing as not able to be detected in SteamVR, it prompted me to update VIVE home. After I updated, it stopped working again. I vaguely remember updating Vive Home the first time this happened, but I cant remember for sure.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was logged in on the app, but it kept opening up a browser page for some reason to tell me to log in.

Ok, so I uninstalled the VIVE application, the driver and the other stuff with "VIVE" in front of it from my programs list. Reinstalled the whole thing (full setup) and it started working again.

However, it caused other problems in which I would occasionally get pop ups and errors from steam such as "Application already Running" whenever I attempt to launch applications from inside VR home. Usually I can ignore the error, and it keeps working but not always.

Also, my Camera overlay stopped working. It shows as enabled in my options, but after i uninstalled and reinstalled, it stopped working. Was fine for about 4-5 hours, at which point, one of my applications crashed, and when I tried to reboot because after the crash, headset controller and towers were showing as not able to be detected in SteamVR, it prompted me to update VIVE home. After I updated, it stopped working again. I vaguely remember updating Vive Home the first time this happened, but I cant remember for sure.

I highly doubt this is an account issue, and rather an issue with the Vive Home/Viveport (Not sure if they are two components or one) application.

The Vive system is composed of about 9 different USB drivers, including Bluetooth, controllers, camera, receivers and audio, among others. Due to different reasons, like software updates, change of connections, system updates or malfunction of a device, the USB drivers might get into conflict and reinstalling them is a good way to get everything back to its working state.

1. Go to SteamVR > Settings > Developer.
  2. Click on Remove All SteamVR USB Devices.
  3. Once finished, the program will prompt a confirmation of the process.
  4. Disconnect the Link box AC Adapter and the Link box USB cable from the computer.
  5. Close SteamVR.
  6. Connect the AC Adapter back to the Link box and then connect the USB cable directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port.
  7. Open SteamVR and check if all the devices all properly recognized, by going to SteamVR > Settings > USB > Refresh.
    1. These are the default drivers:

Vive Link Box:

·         Hub

·         Hub Controller

·         Bluetooth

Vive Headset:

·         Watchman Board

·         Camera

·         Audio Device

·         Main Board

·         Wireless Receiver 1

·         Wireless Receiver 2

Note: This list includes the drivers of the devices directly connected to the computer by USB, as it is the HMD and Link box. Controllers and Base Stations are connected to the headset through Bluetooth and then to the computer, so these devices are not going to be visible on this list.

Try this and see how it works for you,

-John C

No difference after reinstalling all the drivers

I'm not convinced theres an issue with drivers/device because Steam works fine. All the issues except one has always revolved around the Vive Home Software. To summarize

1) Error when loading Any application using Vive Home (Desktop)

2) Errors when loading VIVE Home Applications from within VR saying that application is already running (when it was working for a few hours)

3) It started to prompt me to log in to HTC Sense again. Keeps opening up my browser even though I'm already logged into my application.

4) All this happened after I updated to the latest version (This may be a coincidence)

Also, when I first got the vive (On Release) I had it plugged into a USB 3.0 Port, but had issues, so I was told to plug it into a USB 2.0 port, and it works. However, since then, my Handsets have NEVER stayed paired. Every time I restart SteamVR, they lose pairing, and I have to plug in the controller press power on, and unplug the controller from USB, every single time I want to use it.
I was told that in order to fix that, I need to put it onto USB 3.0. 

So which is it? Every time, I'm told a different story by someone else at VIVE, and now you're telling me to use 2.0 again.

This is three times now that my posts (that show as posted) suddenly dissapear a short while later.

What is going on here?

And before anyone goes on a "Are you sure you posted it", I received emails congratulating me on my replies.

Hi rboelens,

You just earned a new badge:

badge_replies_05.png

A Fistful of Replies

Five replies. Keep that momentum going!"

WTF is going on here?

Ok, Ill write everything out again.

1) Issue appears to be with the VIVE application, not the drivers, not the headset etc. I say this because my SteamVR is perfectly fine, I can launch all the games that fail to launch in SteamVR.

2) The error message says "Launch Timeout". This leads me to beleive that the Vive Application is failing to call on the program for whatever reason.

3) Any time I try to launch anything from inside of VR that is VIVE Home Related (Ie. VIVEPORT Games), I get a popup error on my desktop monitor (not in VR) that says "Failed to launch <Gamename>, Application is already running".  The error does not impact the ability to play the game.

4) These issues only started happening after I updated to the latest version of Vive Home. (I have confirmed this)

5) You tell me that Im supposed to plug the Link Control Box into a USB 2.0 Port. I used to have it on 3.0 when it was purchased (I was a preorder), then HTC Staff told me to use 2.0 because my handsets would refuse to pair unless the linkbox was on 2.0 But ever since then, I have to re-pair both my handsets EVERY SINGLE TIME i reboot SteamVR. I've been then told by VIVE staff that its a known issue if you use USB 2.0 and I should be using 3.0. So which is it? I had the VIVE from the beginning, and after a year (And I have been updating firmware every time I see the notification in steamVR), nobody has figured out how to get bluetooth pairing fixed?
6) I did a fresh install, wiped the drivers, reinstalled (Complete Install including setup) and it worked initially, untill a popup came and said that there was an update, at which point everything broke again.

It now magically works again. ALL the troubleshooting for weeks, restarts, driver installs etc yielded nothing, but leaving it alone overnight yesterday (as I usually do) suddenly it works? No reboot, I just locked the machine.

Archived