lighthouse does not go to standby after firmware update

redcomet

I should have updated my situation about this.

I have found that for me the enable Bluetooth does make the base stations turn off.

After I updated the firmware, they temporarily stopped turning off and so I de-selected the Bluetooth option, shutdown, restarted and re-enabled the Bluetooth and shutdown. Then it worked again. I am currently using the cable sync option and the shutdown still works.

It is reassuring for me that the base stations and their motors go off, when they are not in use.

Nigel

Thanks, all. I wouldn't have even known they were supposed to go to sleep except for reading these forums. I turned on the Bluetooth last night and my base stations got their first night's sleep. Hope I didn't wear them out too much leaving them on for the first two months.

Does the Bluetooth transceiver reside in the link box? Headset maybe??

Just curious, are there any believers here that it is better for the base stations to let them stay on all the time? For example, I leave my computers on all the time because I know I'll be using them. I've heard it said better for electronics to leave it on. I also know that every four or five years I'll have to replace PSU but I consider that part of the territory. I know other people who are daily users that turn them on and off every time. I've heard lots of opinions both ways.

Any clear direction from the hardware side of the house?

I believe the Bluetooth communcation is between the PC (Steam VR app) and each basestation.

I guess what you leave on and what you turn off depends on how often you use it, aswell as how much you are bothered with physically turning things on/off.

I am pleased the base stations sleep, since I use my VR for about 2-3 hours a day, or less. So the idea of the motors running for 20 hours a day when they are not needed, seemed a waste aswell as probably wearing them out ten times quicker. They don't turn right off of course, but the motors clearly stop as the slight vibration you feel in them when they are on, is gone.

As for other things  PC, monitor etc. it's  a call whether the saving on energy is worth the time it take to restart them. Many electronics have a 'sleep' function which kicks in and that, for me, is enough.

I'm in the same boat as you, Nigel. I'm lucky to get a couple hours per day. A lot of times by the time I get done responding to a couple forum posts I am out of steam and off to sleep and don't even get to play. So yes, it is a relief just knowing that whatever little motors and lasers don't have to be blasting the room that whole time for no reason. I notice when they are asleep I do not see the field of LEDs, the a/b/c address, and I think the LED at the bottom may be a slightly different color.

Regarding the Bluetooth, while I agree with what you say, there has to be some hardware and I'm just wondering where it is. My PC is a desktop, not laptop, so there's no hardware inside that I didn't put there. I had such a hard time getting my Vive up & running that I'm actually too chicken to start unplugging things just to see when the Bluetooth hub disappears! I might never get it back. ...Hope my base stations wake up... HAHA

Archived