Could LED lightings be an issue for tracking?

lamyipming

LED light bulbs has some invisible flickering at high frequency. Not sure if this can be a problem for the tracking cameras.

Can anyone compare the tracking performance between a room lit by florescent lights and the same room with LED lights? Or has HTC done testing on this in their lab?

@stvnxu

@lamyipming - You can manually adjust for the AC Utility frequency (50/60hz) within the Vive Console - it generally automatically adjusts if it can clearly detect an AC flicker. Most LEDs are generally flickering at a rate that's higher than the camera's shutter speed so from the CCD's prospective, it all averages out. You could theoretically have issues if you had LEDs that had really slow flicker but that'd be harsh to light an environment in because it would be stroboscopic.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:36 PM, lamyipming said:

LED light bulbs has some invisible flickering at high frequency. Not sure if this can be a problem for the tracking cameras.

Can anyone compare the tracking performance between a room lit by florescent lights and the same room with LED lights? Or has HTC done testing on this in their lab?

@stvnxu

I have a mixture of relatively cheap (chinese Ebay) led strips (monitor backlighting & ceiling mounted light) & 1 energy saving bulb lamp in my room, I dont have any big issues with tracking, it is better during the day with sunlight through the windows, but from 4 hours of gameplay I may loose tracking twice for a short period