htc - VIVIE COSMOS a HDMI?

fceron

I'm sure you guys have tried mini DP. Maybe I got lucky my new laptop has a mini DP port, I did zero research thinking that a gaming computer should run a VR headset with no problem. That's probably my fault, but it's really strange they are trying to weed out HDMI. HDMI isn't antiquated or anything, they have great throughput. If you can display 8k over an HDMI there's no good reason I know of a screen you wear on your face wouldn't work other than some back room deals with DP. Anyway, check for a mini displayport on your laptops before you give up and buy a desktop. 

• 4 months later...

I'm confused by this thread since at work I used a simple non-powered DP to HDMI dongle on a Dell Precision 7560 laptop (3060 mobile) with a Cosmos two days ago and it worked flawlessly testing it in Assetto Corsa.

I'm getting conflicting info now since I want to do VR dev on my home machine but all three of my DP outputs on my 1080 are taken up by my monitors. The only remaining option is the HDMI or DVI outputs.

This wasn't an issue before since I had one DVI monitor, I was just going to buy a DP to HDMI dongle but this thread has me second guessing despite seeing this idea working for that laptop.

The exact model of adapter I had at work was this one and I didn't even plug the USB part in.

I found a picture someone had taken of me testing it and you can see behind the laptop the DP to HDMI converter with the USB portion left unplugged and yet the Cosmos is working fine in AC's VR mode with no framerate issues or anything.

image.png.6ff4c17f84635d38c710f30e92668ba5.png

@Jmangles That would be the first report I've ever heard of someone getting any Displayport driven headset (Rift S, Index, Vive Pro/Comsos) running off a DP -> HDMI adapter. If it's actually working, you might have accidentally stumbled across something alot of people in the VR community have been actively trying to look for. Could be specific to how that specific laptop is wired, but if you have access to the specific adapter just test and if it works for you, you got pretty lucky.

We're mostly remote right now but when I'm there in person again I'll bring that adapter home and see if it's something that works with just that laptop or if I can get it to work on my desktop as well.

I fixed my problem by realizing that 1440p 144Hz is still within HDMI spec so I'm just running one of my monitors off that leaving a DP for my Cosmos.

I was looking at A-series and Quadro cards for a minute there...

• 4 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 1:54 AM, Jmangles said:

I'm confused by this thread since at work I used a simple non-powered DP to HDMI dongle on a Dell Precision 7560 laptop (3060 mobile) with a Cosmos two days ago and it worked flawlessly testing it in Assetto Corsa.

I'm getting conflicting info now since I want to do VR dev on my home machine but all three of my DP outputs on my 1080 are taken up by my monitors. The only remaining option is the HDMI or DVI outputs.

This wasn't an issue before since I had one DVI monitor, I was just going to buy a DP to HDMI dongle but this thread has me second guessing despite seeing this idea working for that laptop.

I just try to check about DP to hdmi.

And reason that you can use DP to hdmi dongle on your laptop because your hdmi version is 2.1 which has more brandwitdh than hdmi 2.0 and display port.