A pointer / cursor for movies.

Keane0411

Hey, I have a question. There is a way to not use the controllers while watching movies?, I mean, there is a way to activate some pointer / cursor instead? like i look with my headset and when i want  to click on something, i use a button on the headset to choose what i want.

for example, if i watch a clip and i want to go and watch other clip, so instead of using the controller, i use my head to search the new clip and use some button on the headset to choose the clip.

maybe i can activate this on steamvr? or there is a movie player with this feature? 

i'm new to vr so if this question is weird im sorry. 

• Like 1

@Keane0411 - thanks for your question. Not weird at all so no need to apologize. 

From my current understanding, that function to use a fixed cursor on the HMD with no controllers is not available. I know exactly what you're asking about cause this is something available on 3DoF headsets. I'll double check with engineering team and submit as a feature request. Just be mindful that this may fall later in the pipeline if they choose to add as they're focused on improving the tracking experience 🙂

Thank you,

Steve

• Like 3

Gaze control (cursor in center of view based on head tracking) is available if the application developer adds it. We have sample code for this with the Wave SDK for developers.  Ideally developers should consider fall back support for controllers -> hand tracking-or eye tracking or basic gaze support (somewhat in that order based on hardware),

@Keane0411

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 8:22 PM, stvnxu said:

@Keane0411 - thanks for your question. Not weird at all so no need to apologize. 

From my current understanding, that function to use a fixed cursor on the HMD with no controllers is not available. I know exactly what you're asking about cause this is something available on 3DoF headsets. I'll double check with engineering team and submit as a feature request. Just be mindful that this may fall later in the pipeline if they choose to add as they're focused on improving the tracking experience 🙂

Thank you,

Steve

Hey, maybe i can connect a Bluetooth keyboard and use the keyboard instead of the controller when i watching movies?

@Keane0411 - Depends on which video player you're using - only a handful of them support external keyboard input.

If you're trying to use a BT keyboard - I think SteamVR's built in media player has the best native keyboard and mouse support currently. I usually use a media keyboard with SteamVR's media player if I need to view a bunch of 360 videos and don't want to take off the HMD between videos.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:05 PM, Keane0411 said:

Hey, maybe i can connect a Bluetooth keyboard and use the keyboard instead of the controller when i watching movies?

dont forget you still have a USB C port in the heasdset that you can use 😉