Custom resolution didn't have any effect

davide445

Not sure if can be a HTC Console related issue or a SteamVR one, but trying to define a custom resolution for my own applications I didn't notice any difference neither as details nor as GPU load.

I was trying to push the resolution from 100% to 130% (reading various posts seems to be a sweet point) but the average fps didn't change and also the graphics is really the same. Trying up to 200% give me the same results. Also looking at the SteamVR in-VR console I didn't noticed any difference.

Asked our realtime 3d engine provider and they are not bypassing this setting so need to act really in changing the resolution.

Hello!

I tried increasing resolution as well and didn't notice any difference. I'm not sure how it works on VR but in desktop, if you increase resolution - it won't affect anything (except FPS) if your screen does not support this resolution. Maybe it's the same with VR

Resolution need to work in this way in VR 

Reading in SteamVR forum some advice to restart the VR application/game you are using to load the new settings after you changed the resolution in SteamVR, didn't have the opportunity to test till tomorrow, maybe you can. 

Edited by davide445
  • Like 1

In most cases, it's best to restart the application after adjusting the render target multiplier. A handful of apps let you get away without restarting, but generally speaking - it's going to be far more stable to restart the target app and in some cases, it's mandatory to see a change. SteamVR's old UI used to have text recommending this but it's cleaner now.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 11:58 PM, davide445 said:

Tested now and it works, confirmed you need to restart the application after setting the new resolution.

Hi, I've been trying to improve my image quality, could you explain to me how you did this.

10 hours ago, atmcode said:

Hi, I've been trying to improve my image quality, could you explain to me how you did this.

Going by memory since curiously I didn't find an online manual and the headset lie in my office, first open the app you want to use, next in SteamVR > Settings > Video you can choose Manual for the resolution. This since 2018 Steam VR by default decide automatically the best resolution to maintain the target fps in the used headset.

Selecting Manual does enable a button to define the specific resolution for different apps. Click on the button does open a new screen where you have a menu for the various apps (current one already selected), and the slider for changing the resolution. You change the resolution to let's say 130% or what you want (from the standard 100% that SteamVR set as automatic value). Close the app and next reopen it, the new resolution settings need to be applied. 

Some apps accept directly the change without restart.

Edited by davide445